Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#105400 by rturnbull
Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:23 pm
Ok first we love Ooma... Yup there are some delys, but for what we pay it's well worth the little snags.

So I guess my guestions/comment is... We've been thinking about the "Premimum" plan and some of the options would be useful...
That being said, $40.00 a year to replace the Ooma device if it breaks? Really?
Sure electronics nearly go on forever (or they get outdated) and I could see paying a 1 time 'warrantee' protection, but yearly?

As much as we like our ooma... if this unit fails... We'll go over to 'Magic jack' or what ever it's called. The whole thing costs just $20 bucks and for what Ooma is charging per year, we could by a spare Magic Jack.

Ooma are you just getting greedy or do you really think your devices are going to fail that often?

Not a good way to keep customers, if the happy ones would leave rather than fork out another 2-3 hundred for another device...or pay $40 a yr for another service they can get much cheaper inital layout on...

Give your 'premimum' customers a $50 'life time' warantee and maybe you'll draw in some of the '19.95' Magic Jack crowd... Or stop losing your customers to them when our expensive devices fail....

Just saying... Assuming anyone in the main office even cares.
#105407 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:06 pm
rturnbull, Ooma's business model is to sell you hardware and then provide free service (+ taxes/regulatory recovery fees) for the life of the device. So the inexpensive one time "lifetime" warranty may not work for the basic customers.

However, this maybe a good thing for Ooma to consider for Premier customers at an attractive price that they deem appropriate if the customer meets some kind of customer value index.

As for winning over cheaper VoIP solution customers out there...there are a lot of things going for Ooma other than price so I don't think being the least expensive is Ooma's priority; they want to strike a perfect balance between value and quality.
#105409 by rturnbull
Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:01 pm
I agree with your reply, however "for the life of the device" could mean 5 months, 5 years...

40 bucks a year, is ok if you have money to waste. But If I pay 250 for some device I'd expect a 2 year free service for a device that we don't use that much... And if Ooma has confidence in the devices they sell to us, then they should give at minimum longer initial warantees... Or at best minimal warranties for say $10 a yr...

I tried to tell (so far) eleven people in the year or so we've had it. Nine of them said the initial cost and the high warranty price told them Ooma does not trust its own products and went with Magic Jack instead..(four are business executives)

One looked at the 250 price tag and asked me if they'd replace the unit if it failed and I told them about the 40 warranty...they decided to keep using their cells...

The last one laughed at me and said it was obvious Ooma is just trying to gouge their customers...

We like Ooma, but management should take a serious look at it's business format... You can't scare first time, or potential customers away... They are doing that at a time when they should be trying to grow bigger and faster...
This makes me (a happy user) worry about those up front that are making these mediocre desisions and the future of this company that according to some clips I've read is struggling a bit for market share.
#105416 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 pm
For a lot of people, logic may look like this....

I already have high speed internet, yet I am paying $35 a month (or even more for a lot of people out there) for phone service that likely offers far less than what Ooma offers; cost is less than $5 in taxes per month. I can walk into Costco and get Telo for about $140 out the door. Ooma pays for itself in less than 5 months. Months beyond that would be pure savings. If Ooma hardware goes belly up within a year, it is covered under warranty. If for some reason, I am unlucky and Ooma hardware fails after 12 months, I buy another, kind of like paying my old phone bill for 5 months or so and I am saving loads of money again. Ooma is a great idea!

The above logic works for a lot of folks out there.

When I signed up with Ooma a few years ago, I kind of looked at MagicJack (and NetTalk a little bit later) and other VoIP solutions. MagicJack and NetTalk couldn't do number porting back then (show stopper for me; even if they did, I wasn't going to go with them just looking at the quality of hardware they were putting out...so flimsy and cheesy...told me that their voice quality weren't going to be good; likely turned out to be true since you don't hear about them being #1 with consumer reports etc). Other VoIP solutions didn't jump out at me like Ooma; for me, seeing Ooma in Costco meant a lot; only solid companies stand a chance at shelf space in Costco. Years later, I am still enjoying Ooma. An upright company providing great service and awesome value to everyone who is willing to shift their paradigm in home phone service. No cheesiness whatsoever like you would hear from customers of other companies like MagicJack and NetTalk.

Over the years, I had plenty of fun with NetTalk and MagicJack, at their expense....enjoy:

/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12612&start=30#p98855
/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11277&start=10#p79735
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7758&start=60#p55520
#105419 by rturnbull
Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:34 pm
You'll get no arguments from me...both make good sense and raise valid points...

My point is Ooma could be doing much better and snagging bigger market shares, if they'd have some better management planning.
Offer more, get more customers and assure your place in the market. Ooma seems to be staying stagnant, when they should be growing... The way to grow is take a little less profit or offer some deals where you don't lose money...
If their devices are as good as others on the market (my line line phones are ten and eleven yrs old respectivly) If their devices are well built, offer longer warranties... draws people in, makes those already in happy.

The company seems to need someone that wants more than just doing so-so... business wise.
#105564 by garg11
Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 am
Yes you're right, I use ooma without any problems for number of years,but if I'll got any problem with it I'll switch to MagickJack Plus.I don't care about how the ooma telo looks like, I don't want pay $100 and up for device and then will hooked by RRF and any F##ing Taxes which can increase without your opinion. currently it around $50. For MagickJackPlus or Nettalk you can pay just $29 per year or $100 per five!!! years.I bought for my in-laws MagickJackPlus which works perfect more then 1,5 years already, I bought one Nettalk for my parents who live out of USA which works perfect. Why we should keep and support Not a #1 already device and service? Today I got the e-mail from Ooma sounds like joke:
Dear George,
As our first product, the Ooma Hub allowed us to launch and grow our unique vision of how phone service could be delivered over the Internet with high quality and advanced features. We are proud of the success it has enjoyed since Ooma made its debut.
Having launched our second generation product, the Ooma Telo, in 2009 with higher-performance and more advanced functionality, we have now made the decision to concentrate our activities on the Telo going forward. Your Hub will continue to function on the Ooma network and operate as before, but we will not be providing any future enhancements and will be limiting our customer support activities going forward.
As a Hub owner and one of our earliest customers, we’d like to thank you for your support with a special offer that will upgrade you to our latest technology. For a limited time, you can upgrade to an Ooma Telo for just $99.99, plus free shipping. If you need to replace an Ooma Scout device in your home, you can add an Ooma Linx device for just $30 more.
When you upgrade to the Telo you will transition to our latest terms and conditions, which will require you to pay the applicable taxes and fees in your area. In return, you will receive our lowest price ever on an Ooma Telo and all of the benefits that come from upgrading:
Improved call reliability with PureVoice™ technology
Hear the difference of HD Voice when you talk to other Ooma Telo and Ooma Mobile users
Take advantage of Telo-only features like personal caller-ID with Contact Lists
In addition, the Ooma Telo supports a wide-range of accessories to further extend its capabilities:
Place your Telo anywhere in your home with the Wireless Adapter
Link your cell phone to your home phone with the Bluetooth Adapter
Enjoy smartphone features on your home phone with the optional HD2 Handset
Connect additional phones and fax machines quickly and easily with the wireless Linx device
Take advantage of this limited time offer before Feb 15th to upgrade now and enjoy the newest technology by calling us at 1-866-452-6662. But don’t wait, this offer won’t last forever!
Until next time,
Team Ooma

Why should I decide to pay if I don't want to pay? :o
Are they think we are all idiots? :?:
#105572 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:21 am
garg11 wrote:Yes you're right, I use ooma without any problems for number of years,but if I'll got any problem with it I'll switch to MagickJack Plus.I don't care about how the ooma telo looks like, I don't want pay $100 and up for device and then will hooked by RRF and any F##ing Taxes which can increase without your opinion. currently it around $50. For MagickJackPlus or Nettalk you can pay just $29 per year or $100 per five!!! years.I bought for my in-laws MagickJackPlus which works perfect more then 1,5 years already, I bought one Nettalk for my parents who live out of USA which works perfect. Why we should keep and support Not a #1 already device and service?

Perhaps, you missed my question that I posted before....are you the Bill that wrote this review? http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/07/22/mag ... us-review/

/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12612&p=88220#p88238

I'd think twice about ditching a real company like Ooma for a slimy outfit like MagicJack.

Example:
JimBob wrote:November 28, 2012 at 5:03 pm
ATTENTION CLASS-ACTION ATTORNEYS

FINALLY, the crooks at magicJerk have done something we can nail them for!

Starting yesterday, MJ began requiring their customersmers to buy prepaid minutes for certain calls within the USA and even down the street.

As expected, the only thing Chat accomplished was to admit they and no one else had control over the recorded intercept I now get when I call severaleral numbers I called without problem the day before. In ONLY 2.5 hours and 4 dropped chats, I learned MJ is using the TOS (Terms of Service) we all “agreed” to when we activated service as an excuse to bilk us out of what will amount to millions in illegal revenue.
#105720 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 pm
Ooma operates within rules. I call MagicJack slimy because they don't play by the rules and it will catch up to them one day (NetTalk will face the same fate).

They shut people off, within certain pockets, if it suits them and force people to pay additional $ to make calls.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/magicjack-v ... -0149b.htm

Government entities are after them for not collecting 911 fees on behalf of; I see more pockets of shutdowns.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/18/flor ... -911-fees/
#105722 by dsinternet
Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:11 am
I have had Ooma for over 3 years without any major problems. I have it plugged into an uninterupted power supply UPS and I think that is one of the reasons why it's lasted this long. I picked up the lifetime Pemier back then (no longer avalible). So I think my startup cost was over $500. The lifetime came with a 3 year warranty (which I never used). I get Premier for life, but I need to buy a new device when it breaks.
#105726 by rturnbull
Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:59 am
Lol, Looks like I opened a can of worms here... The thing is, (other than I like Ooma and the slight lag when speaking to some people)... It's a great service.

My problem was the whole thing that for 250-300 bucks, Ooma should offer more than a year on their device(s) If a company is confident in their hardware, then prove it to your customers (and potential customers)
If my device lasts for 3 yrs, I'd be happy and be willing to buy another... Not so much if it lasted 6mos past the warranty (or a year past)
I looked at Ooma for almost a year before deciding to take a chance on it because of the initial outlay and the poor device warranty (1 yr)

How do you get people that have to live from paycheck to paycheck, fixed incomes, etc. That can ill afford to 'take a chance' when you basically say "Eh, ya get a year after that good luck"
A company hads to show people "Hey give us a chance, our stuff might be expensive, but it will last!" (sounds better than the first statement doesn't it?)
Get customers in, signed up, and then they can see for themselves... And so what if a few devices fail? Ooma takes a slight hit and gains customer loyality...

Just sayin'