Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#8888 by kbern
Sat May 02, 2009 9:19 am
Your site has a problem. If I go to "Change Password", it lets me keep typing as much as I want, but only accepts the first 10 characters. After that, it doesn't beep or show a warning, it just ignores.

So... I look at my keyboard and type my 112 character password that I use everywhere (for example):
I then look up and I see a bunch of "*", which I don't count (why would I?): "***********"

Next I "confirm" that by also typing the same 11 characters, which are all happily accepted except the last one, which is ignored.

The website then considers this a match.

Then I log out and try to log back in and CAN'T! Why? because I enter my password:

But Ooma only save the first 10 chars of my password, 1234567890 so what I entered is "wrong", but I don't know why, and have to hit "Forgot Password", get a temp one mailed to me, reset it to "12345678901", log out, try and log back in and see it fail again!

Luckily I figured this out by *watching* each asterisk as I entered them.

This is horrible UI.

I would change two things here:

1. I would allow passwords to be longer. 10 characters is not secure enough and I see no reason not to allow people to have 15 or even 20 character passwords

2. I would allow them to enter as many characters as they want (or at least one more than your limit) and then show them an error message saying how many characters are allowed!
#8896 by southsound
Sat May 02, 2009 10:32 am
WayneDsr wrote:Using 112 character password: Secure
Using the same 112 character password for everything: ahh.. not so secure.

Wayne

Which is exactly why I have memorized completely different 112 character passwords for each of my 37 password protected accounts.

Now what were we talking about?

Is it lunch time yet? ;)
#8902 by southsound
Sat May 02, 2009 11:09 am
No offense meant to the OP.

Just that it's a rainy day here in the Northwest and even though yesterday was great (we had a chance to prep a neighbor's strawberry patch and do some work on expanding our garden - 25x40 this year), I feel a case of cabin fever hovering nearby. Sometimes levity works as an escape when the weather turns wet.
#17348 by ComplineBelle
Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:58 am
This answered my question!
I couldn't figure out why I'd change my password and it would never work. Turns out I was using 15 characters, and sure as shoot'n it only takes the first 10.

Easy solution, just have the UI note that the password should be 10 characters or fewer.

I'm now up and running in the lounge. :)

I loving Ooma!
#17352 by southsound
Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:11 pm
And we're glad you found the forum! Welcome and don't be a stranger. Lots of nice people here with great advice. Just ignore the furry little guy who doesn't do well on rainy days when cabin fever sets in (reference to my earlier post in this thread :shock: ) The only thing you're going to miss is the thick monthly telco bill you won't be getting any longer! :cool:
#17369 by tommies
Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:08 pm
southsound wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:Using 112 character password: Secure
Using the same 112 character password for everything: ahh.. not so secure.

Wayne

Which is exactly why I have memorized completely different 112 character passwords for each of my 37 password protected accounts.

Now what were we talking about?

Is it lunch time yet? ;)

Have you heard of some thing like finger print reader. I have mine for $50, best $50 I have ever spent.
Here's the link

BTW, I'm with the OP, and I think ooma should allow pw longer than 10 characters.