OT - Being Frugal

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
oomg
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:59 am
Location: SoCal -- L.A.

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by oomg » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 am

Ditto... and I like it.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

oomg
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:59 am
Location: SoCal -- L.A.

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by oomg » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:41 am

lbmofo wrote:If you are gonna cough up the big bucks month after month with one of the big wireless carriers, might as well save some $ on the initial hardware cost when signing up with 2 year contracts. Instead of signing up at a carrier store, consider some options:

http://wireless.amazon.com/ <-- known for "don't care about profit, just want traffic right now"
http://www.wirefly.com <-- alternate to compare
http://www.letstalk.com <-- another option to compare
http://www.moosewireless.com/ <-- gives you comparisons
lbmofo:

Might want to look at this from a different perspective: i.e. cheaper equipment and free (or near free) service. Check out FreedomPop: http://www.freedompop.com/
More here: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=8828012
and here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... lenews_wsj

combine FreedomPop with Line2 (fka Toktumi) or Talkatone on an iPod Touch (4th gen) and you have a fairly inexpensive alternative to the high cost of a monthly plan as well as reasonably priced equipment.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by lbmofo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 am

Very interesting oomg. Where I live, I can get 500MB for free and 2 cents/MB for overages (~$20 per GB) or sign up to a plan and get 1 cent/MB (<= $10 per GB).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreedomPop
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

oomg
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:59 am
Location: SoCal -- L.A.

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by oomg » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:59 pm

lbmofo wrote:Very interesting oomg. Where I live, I can get 500MB for free and 2 cents/MB for overages (~$20 per GB) or sign up to a plan and get 1 cent/MB (<= $10 per GB).
500MB free? Who is providing this. $20 per GB is high from what I have seen. $10/GB is closer to the norm. I get 2 GB on my iPhone plan with AT&T, but rarely, if ever, have I used 200MB during any given month.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by lbmofo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 pm

oomg wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Very interesting oomg. Where I live, I can get 500MB for free and 2 cents/MB for overages (~$20 per GB) or sign up to a plan and get 1 cent/MB (<= $10 per GB).
500MB free? Who is providing this. $20 per GB is high from what I have seen. $10/GB is closer to the norm. I get 2 GB on my iPhone plan with AT&T, but rarely, if ever, have I used 200MB during any given month.
Sorry, meant to say I plugged in my zip code and here are the FreedomPop plans available to me:

Free 500MB - overage 2 cents/MB
2GB - $17.99 - overage 1 cent/MB
4GB - $28.99 - overage 1 cent/MB
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Don't want to pay $20, $40, $60, $70 per year for antivirus software? If you want to pay nothing yet would like to provide your PC with some essential protection, go with Microsoft Security Essentials for free.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-download

More info:

http://antivirus-software.findthebest.c ... t-Security
http://anti-virus-software-review.topte ... orton.html
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

WayneDsr
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:18 pm

lbmofo wrote:Don't want to pay $20, $40, $60, $70 per year for antivirus software? If you want to pay nothing yet would like to provide your PC with some essential protection, go with Microsoft Security Essentials for free.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-download

More info:

http://antivirus-software.findthebest.c ... t-Security
http://anti-virus-software-review.topte ... orton.html
I am using Windows 8 which already contains Security Essentials combined with Defender and I find it to be good enough to replace most Anti Virus software. The only thing I needed to do was schedule scans with the Task Manager.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by lbmofo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Get your own cable modem and save roughly $7 to $10 every month on modem rental fee.

Helped a complete stranger in Costco this past week.

Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem is $74.99 from local Costco.

Get cable company on the phone and they'll walk you through setting up your account with your new modem.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

GMOOMA
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by GMOOMA » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Refill ink at Costco, office supply store? Really?

Ink's cheaper on Ebay or Amazon in BULK..
Ebay has the cheapest Remanufactured laser printer toner that I've ever seen (this is the one you want to leave to the pro's)

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: OT - Being Frugal

Post by lbmofo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:07 pm

GMOOMA wrote:Refill ink at Costco, office supply store? Really?

Ink's cheaper on Ebay or Amazon in BULK..
Ebay has the cheapest Remanufactured laser printer toner that I've ever seen (this is the one you want to leave to the pro's)
I don't use much ink but when I run out used to cost $$$$. Perhaps need to go eBay and look again but prices weren't that good. Maybe not looking at bulk...how many is bulk? Maybe at most, I'd buy 10 at a time.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

Post Reply