Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#99115 by Xavier777
Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:05 pm
It seems that the product owners seem to know more about the Ooma product than the customer service support people. I am living in Ireland now and brought my ooma with me. I have an Irish Dect phone in the jack, but I am unable to make 1-800 calls. As of last week I had to take my Ooma offline due to the device's dect 6 signal interfering with a Mobile Company's frequency range. I first tried emailing them since I didn't think with today's technology it is too necessary to have to get international charges for calling Ooma's 1-800 number from my Irish based Cell phone since that is the only other phone I have. A user here in the forum gave me codes to try for the 1-800 problem but I had to take it offline before I could try or i could face a fine. I tried emailing customer support, but they seemed to have gotten easily confused and I had to tell them the same thing several times through several emails going back and forth. Finally they pushed me onto Ooma Customer Support through chat which was worse, because she kept trying to get me to call the 1-800 number even after I had told her my Ooma is offline till the firmware update that lets you shut off the dect 6 signal from the actual device. She didnt even know that was going to be an option, but it took me saying it more than three times that its offline and it wont make 1-800 number calls and that I wont make one even though its free to them in the US, from my cell phone. Finally I ended the chat and came back to the forum, not only are their customer support people easily confused but it seems like the owners of the product seem to know more about the device than their support line. I was trying to also get a more definite release date of their next firmware, but she said there is no definite date. A vague within two weeks doesn't work for me I told them, because I need to have that signal turned off. I cant have it running longer than the time it takes to log into the setup page and switch it off after the firmware update is released. They wont commit to an actual day. I liked the voice quality when it was running but their customer service sort of sucks.
#99117 by aicitman
Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 pm
The firmware update was released today, so you should get it anytime soon. (I'm not sure if there's any way to request the update manually.)
As per support, you can contact Bobby B or Dennis P directly. Just click the email button next to their name on any of their post on the forum. (The firmware updates are announced on the forum by either Bobby or Dennis.)
And if you manage to update it manually, you could please post it here.
#99118 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:08 pm
Xavier777 wrote:As of last week I had to take my Ooma offline due to the device's dect 6 signal interfering with a Mobile Company's frequency range.

Interesting. How did they find you? Was it so bad that they conducted a neighborhood search and then knocked on your door? Pretty amazing that a short range device can create a havoc as you describe.

In any case, I thought of this "Safe Room" "smart" post by me in an earlier similar topic thread (about Telo RF): /viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11211&start=10#p78199
#99121 by Xavier777
Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 pm
:x That is exactly how they found me. They had a detector, and isolated the frequency to this building. By luck they rang the buzzer for the first Flat, which is mine, and lucked out because I was the one with an American phone device. Oh they spent time and they are serious about cross frequency interference. SInce it was accidental in my case, I recieved no fine, but if I use it with out the new firmware fix that lets you shut off the Dect 6 signal from the Ooma Telo, I am able to use only after that they said. So my money didnt go to waste. So you guys are certain that the new firmware was released today? If so I will log into the set up page and turn the signal off! I can start calling the US again!
Thanks guys I can always count on the owners of the device!
Frank
#99122 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:38 pm
As aicitman mentioned, you might want to contact the mods first to have your account set up to get firmware pushed as soon as you boot up (I think they can do this). That way, you boot up, get firmware and you can disable DECT right away. As for not being able to call 1800 number, not sure what that is about. Perhaps, the 800 you are trying to reach does not work with your Ooma number's area code? Were you able to call the 800 number you are trying to reach in the states? Can't imagine it having anything to do with where you are located since internet is internet.
#99123 by Xavier777
Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:58 am
Yes, the 1-800 number was reachable from California and I have a california based telephone number on the Ooma. Do you think they are pushing out the firmware update based on Area code on the device phone number or IP address based on region of the country with IP address. If so I might be hosed because it has an Irish IP address.
#99126 by GMOOMA
Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:41 am
alternatively, you could find a lead-lined box or bag & stuff the Ooma in that.. no RF is getting past lead..
#99134 by Xavier777
Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:08 am
I received the firmware update and engineering turned off the dect 6 signal so now I am good to go. I found that Level 2 support was what I needed for my type of problem to begin with. I figured out that Level 1 support only knows the most basic things about the ooma telo. Which explains why the three level 1 customer support technicians got easily confused with my issue. Bobby also emailed me and helped out with the problem. Level 2 support and Bobby made me change my mind about my opinion about the service quality. I know now to save the really technical issues and just ask for level 2 in those cases.
Frank
#99135 by Xavier777
Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:09 am
Also the firmware update seems to have resolved the 1-800 problem I was experiencing also. I can now call those numbers.
Frank