Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#99103 by LoriToo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:26 pm
Hello, new friends~

I am currently evaluating my new Ooma Telo Air, and am planning on the Basic service only. However, I am getting the impression it might not work with an outside answering machine (which I have yet to acquire,) for a couple of key functions.

In particular, I need to know about:
* Caller ID (can be a bit flexible here, but sure, I'd want to use the capabilities of my machine)
* Call Screening (live) - if someone is leaving a message, I want to be able to pick it up mid-message if I want to talk to them
* Remote message retrieval - call in to retrieve messages while away from home.

Thank you so much for addressing these issues! Along with this, I could use recommendations for a new phone/answering system that works well with the Ooma and these functions.

I really, really appreciate any experience here!

Lori
#99106 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:01 pm
These days, no standalone answering machines are any good (anecdotal observation).

Probably get a better one getting a built in answering unit while getting one of DECT 6.0 phone systems (new phone systems rarely are without an answering system).

With basic service and Telo, callerid would just be the phone number unless the number is in your my.ooma.com contacts (name will appear as well in this case).

Incoming DTMF works (as far as I know) for Telo (for remote message retrieval).

I'd still recommend using Ooma's Voicemail. It is so much more convenient (minus the call screening if basic) because you can access it anywhere (using computer, phone, tablet, smartphone) and much more manageable (online organization of voicemails not to mention ability to download voicemails in mp3 format).
#99109 by LoriToo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 pm
To lbmofo: Thanks for your quick reply.

I should have been clearer - we do plan to buy a new DECT 6.0 phone system.

Here is an older post that gave me MUCH concern about call screening and message retrieval:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7747
I am not technical, but I think the issue may be Incoming DTMF. Do you know if it actually works now? And, on Basic?

I appreciate the recommendation for Ooma's voicemail. But, the Premier offers a lot of features we're not interested in, including the managing, downloading, etc. that you mentioned. (And, the cost happens to be a concern for us.)

The gist is : We just want to use some basic functions that our OWN answering machine will offer, and we are concerned that it won't work with the Ooma. Perhaps I am asking too much... Sigh...

Thanks again, and I'd still like to hear from others with experience in this matter.

Lori
#99111 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:15 pm
Ooma basic does come with voicemail. Maybe this is a misunderstanding you have?

The incoming DTMF problem was supposed to be fixed viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2642&start=60#p60889 but then again, I did see reports of it not working recently as well.

Try your local answering machine anyway. Worse case, your remote message retrival won't work (maybe on and off).
#99133 by patti33
Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:17 am
I have a nice system with voice answering on the base. It's the Uniden Dect 6.0 I don't know which particular model it is but doesn't matter. I had to turn OFF the answering part because my Ooma Telo seemed to have a problem with the telephone's answering system. I set Telo to not pick up for several rings but it still did and drove hubby & I nuts trying to figure out why the telephone was blinking till I saw there was a msg on Telo. We have had lots of times where calls couldn't get through so at least maybe this will help that.

Just saying maybe there's no reason for a answering machine on the telephone.
#99151 by LoriToo
Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:03 pm
That's great they fixed the incoming DTMF issue - then, presumably, I could retrieve messages remotely with my own answering machine?

Below are the main reasons I want my own answering machine. And, since I am going to buy one, naturally I'd like to use its features!

* Call Screening - described as an Ooma is a Premier feature - but I would like to be able to pick up a call mid-message, if I so choose (or am late in answering the phone)

* Call Blocking - I think this is the same as Ooma's Personal Blacklist, again, a Premium feature

* Call Waiting WITH caller ID - so I can see if I want to interrupt my call - I can't tell if Ooma offers this even with Premier

Here are some additional features many phone/answering systems have, that I am not sure if I can do with just the Telo box and Basic:
* Conference call - rarely need this, but might occasionally
* Call Forwarding - less important, not even sure if some answering machines do this?

I am imagining that speaker-phone and speed-dials are part of the phones, and I can use these features normally.

Thanks to any/all who can address these specific issues! I REALLY appreciate any answers!
Lori
#99153 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:13 pm
LoriToo wrote: * Call Waiting WITH caller ID - so I can see if I want to interrupt my call - I can't tell if Ooma offers this even with Premier

This you get with Ooma basic.

LoriToo wrote:Here are some additional features many phone/answering systems have, that I am not sure if I can do with just the Telo box and Basic:
* Conference call - rarely need this, but might occasionally
* Call Forwarding - less important, not even sure if some answering machines do this?

No conference with basic. No forwarding with basic.
#99161 by LoriToo
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:56 am
OK - so perhaps it comes down to these:

* Call Screening - described as an Ooma is a Premier feature - but I would like to be able to pick up a call mid-message, if I so choose (or am late in answering the phone)

* Call Blocking - I think this is the same as Ooma's Personal Blacklist, again, a Premium feature

These are pretty basic answering machine functions - so will I be able to use them on an outside answering machine?
#99162 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 am
Call screening, you can do.

Not sure of answering machines with call blocking built in. I am not aware of any (maybe I am just behind).
#99163 by LoriToo
Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 am
Hi, lbmofo~

Ooma describes this under Premier features:
"Call Screening - If you don’t recognize the caller-ID, just listen to their message through the speaker. If it turns out you want to take the call, just pick up the phone."

Are you saying this works on the Basic plan also?

Thanks for sticking with me!
Lori