Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#98479 by dpierce
Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:15 pm
My Telo, handset 1, and handset 2 share my primary number. I recently assigned my secondary line (free with Premier membership) to Handset 3; for use as my home office line.

Here’s where the call waiting problems begin…

Now that the Telo has only one line associated with it, my online account setup says that I haven’t selected a second number for my Premier membership. It asks me to setup a free second line. I’m not sure what adding what will actually be a “third” number to my account would actually do for my billing or whatever.

I’d love to have call waiting working on both the main and office lines. At present, when I am using either numbers, second callers go immediately to voicemail. I have call waiting selected under my primary number in my.ooma.com. But I don’t believe it’s actually doing anything due to the fact that I’ve not selected a second line (as it thinks) for my primary account.

I know this is confusing so let me attempt to clarify…

Presently Happening:

TELO, HANDSET1, HANDSET2 – Uses my primary phone number, I have no second number, no call waiting, and second callers go straight to voicemail with no incoming call indicator.

HANDSET 3 – Uses my (once) secondary phone number, no call waiting, and second callers go straight to voicemail with no incoming call indicator.

What I Would Prefer:

TELO, HANDSET1, HANDSET2 – Uses my primary phone number, call waiting alerts me of a second incoming call, and I have the option to place the first caller on hold or allowing it to go to voicemail.

HANDSET 3 – Uses my secondary phone number, call waiting alerts me of a second incoming call, and I have the option to place the first caller on hold or allowing it to go to voicemail.

And Also:
What would happen if I did select a new second (an actual third) number in my primary numbers my.ooma.com logged on setup? Would I be billed $5 a month for third number or would I simply get a free third phone number through some sort of Ooma glitch? That is till the loophole is discovered and closed, of course. :-P

Thank you in advance for your replies.
#98503 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:36 am
Each additional number beyond the 2 will incur $4.99 per month.

Make sure you enabled "call waiting" for each of your 2 my.ooma.com accounts? https://my.ooma.com/system

Is it set to enabled in your main my.ooma.com account? Is it set to enabled in your 2ndary account as well?

Ooma design decision, hence limitation: only 2 concurrent calls can go on at the same time. If both line 1 and line 2 are taken up (visible on the main Ooma device), 3rd call will go directly to Voicemail.

What happens if I am using the Instant Second Line and a third call comes in?

Popularity occasionally comes with its drawbacks. If both of your Ooma lines are in use and a third call comes in, the incoming call will immediately go to voicemail.
#98580 by dpierce
Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:40 pm
lbmofo wrote:Each additional number beyond the 2 will incur $4.99 per month.

Make sure you enabled "call waiting" for each of your 2 my.ooma.com accounts? https://my.ooma.com/system

Is it set to enabled in your main my.ooma.com account? Is it set to enabled in your 2ndary account as well?

Ooma design decision, hence limitation: only 2 concurrent calls can go on at the same time. If both line 1 and line 2 are taken up (visible on the main Ooma device), 3rd call will go directly to Voicemail.

What happens if I am using the Instant Second Line and a third call comes in?

Popularity occasionally comes with its drawbacks. If both of your Ooma lines are in use and a third call comes in, the incoming call will immediately go to voicemail.

Hello, thank thanks for your reply. In the my.ooma.com/system, there aren't any options for call-waiting under the second lines log in (handset assigned line). There is indeed a call-waiting option that is enabled under my primary number log on. Not sure if it was always this way and it is entirely possible Ooma has change things since last you looked.

As for the wizard telling me that I still need to select a second number, Ooma's setup page not informing me of call waitings limitation I was about to impose on myself when assigning number 2 to handset is just piss-poor support.

Why would anyone want to buy a second line (actually a third) to re-enable call waiting on the first line? Sure, lets all pay $5 +tax more a month for the pleasure again being able to use call wait...not.

Damn it, I just stopped caring my lot of handsets are still crap. It's still a shot in the dark if they are going to ring at all. If you don't seat them just so on their cradle they won't charge. So they die in a few hours and the world thinks youre screening your calls and get pissed off when you say; but I 'was' home and I just didn't hear it ring.

Switching between lines is still a pain and it's better just to hang up on the current caller than to grab the second incoming call from the same handset your using. I think that was the whole reason I moved the second line to a handset in the first place. The second line you get free with premier membership is and was only good for taking second calls, but that soon became a moot benefit once I discovered I could only utilize it if I had Ooma handsets. A actual 2-LINES is in the works by Ooma dev and it sure as heck couldn't come fast enough for me.

Someone needs to think outside the box here and come up with a creative solution to what is most assuredly a problem with call waiting and the verbiage missing online when slitting lines between equipment.

I'm happy to hear Ooma has a new HD Handset and I look forward to seeing them firsthand. I only hope someone did a bit of research this time and chose Panasonic as a role model.

My Solution:
It would be great if after assigning one of your only two numbers, in the setup, that you had the option to allow the second number on your account to be assigned as a backup for overflow (ie. second incoming calls) if a user so chose. And the same for the primary line too I guess. Would this be a workable solution? I don't know, sounds easy on paper. Only Ooma can say how realistic it would be. But there's "thinking outside the box".

Thank you for your reply. I appreciated seeing someone make an effort on this issue.