Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#97399 by highq
Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 am
joe123 wrote:As most people already know, there are several Telemarketers companies who am EXEMPT from the national do not call list.

Most people know this? I don't. What are the exemptions?
joe123 wrote:Sencondly, if I spent my time asking each and every Telemarketer who calls me NOT to call me, it would be a full time job which no end date

Agreed, so noone undertakes such useless requests. But people do take the time to enroll in government-maintained do-not-call registries.
#97403 by jhphone
Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:17 pm
joe123 wrote:...

When I joined Ooma, the number of Telemarketers increased about 10 fold. I had the same number for 30 years prior to joining Ooma. I was getting Telemarketers calls before switching to Ooma, but now it is over the top.

You are stating that Ooma is responsible for the "10 fold" increase in telemarketer calls.

How do you explain this order-of-magnitude increase?

Do you think that Ooma solicits telemarketers to call their customers? Did you post your number on Facebook or such?

I mean, we live in a real world -- not a Harry Potter world -- and the amazing assertion that an Ooma customer will get 10 times as many telemarketing calls as before simply cries out for some kind of amazing explanation.

What, in your mind, could possibly be going on that would cause you to receive 10 times as many calls as before?

I've had Ooma for about 3 years and I get fewer than before.
#97412 by joe123
Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:24 pm
jhphone wrote:You are stating that Ooma is responsible for the "10 fold" increase in telemarketer calls.

How do you explain this order-of-magnitude increase?

Do you think that Ooma solicits telemarketers to call their customers? Did you post your number on Facebook or such?

Yes, the incresase of Telemarketers has increased about 10 fold. No, I have not taken a spread sheet over the past 30 years to give you an exact number, but it's close to that.

My 30 year old phone number never got this many Telemarkerts before going to Ooma and *NO*, I don't have a Facebook account nor do I post my phone number on any public site.

I will say that the frequency of Telemarketers went up right after I ported my 30 year old number to Ooma.
#97417 by abqbill
Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:53 am
My experience has also been the opposite: A noticeable decrease in solicitation calls since porting to Ooma and enabling the blacklists. I strongly suspect there is some other explanation.

Bill
#97460 by joe123
Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:15 pm
highq wrote:
joe123 wrote:As most people already know, there are several Telemarketers companies who am EXEMPT from the national do not call list.

Most people know this? I don't. What are the exemptions?

Google is your friend. Here is one of many searches on the subject:

http://www.keytlaw.com/FTC/Rules/donotcall.htm

Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Some businesses are exempt and can call you even if you place your number on the national registry. These include banks, long-distance phone companies and airlines.

Other businesses are not required to "go by the list" either. Political organizations, charities, telephone surveyors, and the business of insurance to the extent that it is regulated by state law are permitted to call you. Also, organizations with which you have an established business relationship can call you for up to 18 months after your last purchase, payment or delivery—even if your name is on the National Do Not Call Registry. And companies to which you’ve made an inquiry or submitted an application can call you for three months.

Up to 18 months AFTER your last purchase. I mean, give me a break. Most of use buy from sevearl businesses and by law they can keep calling you for this long.
#97577 by richvanv
Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:12 am
Joe,

Let me know if you decide to come over to ATT VOIP.
Love the service and would love to see you come on board.
No more telemarketing calls!
#97764 by publicpersona
Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:02 am
I have experienced a remarkable increase in telemarketing calls. That isn't Ooom's fault, of course, but it does speak loudly to a feature deficit that would be enormously useful.

This is a political year, and I get recorded advocacy calls almost daily already and that will increase exponetially towards November. Do not call lists do not apply to these calls. Then there are the security system calls which I now get up to three times a day from randomized spoofed numbers (google for "telemarket security system small sign" if you don't know about these).

I am to the point of not having any phones at all connected and simply rely on voicemail. I cannot tolerate phones ringing in my house without any benefit to me. Please, Ooma, tell us whitelisting is coming very soon!
#97801 by joe123
Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:09 am
Hi Publicpersona.

That is exactly where I am at and my fears going into the election year.

We are going to be bombarded with mostly political attack calls and what bothers me the most is that they are all automated calling you at all times of the day.

Why is Ooma keeping quiet about this?
#97802 by lbmofo
Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:17 am
Bobby B wrote:There are many open requests for blacklist enhancements, including:

- Wildcarding for blacklists
- Blacklisted calls appearing in the call logs
- Whitelisting callers that appear on the contact list
- Provide option to blacklist all invalid US numbers

Unfortunately, I don't have a timeframe on when we'll see the above features implemented.
#97815 by joe123
Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:39 pm
When I said that Ooma is silent on the issue, I did not mean the obvious.

"We are working on it" without a time table is worthless.

In my prevoius job, they would assign a 1 hour a month to any project they had no interest in finishing. The cute part was the out of that 1 hour a month, at least 1/2 an hour of that 1 hour was spent on documenting that they were working on the project.

The responce from Ooma not only is it generic and worthless, it doesn't even have a timeline - it's a ruse.