Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#89878 by speedyvespa
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:22 pm
After upgrading to premier and porting my number away from Comcast to Ooma 2 days ago, today I'm porting back (at great expense as I can't have my old bundle back). Thanks for nothing, Ooma.

When I had Ooma basic, it worked OK. When I upgraded to Premier and ported my number to Ooma, nothing worked. After several fruitless hours of being told to unplug and plug things back about 10 times, I got the overwhelming impression that support is woeful. The quality of the line to support was worryingly poor. I tried to explain that prior to upgrading and porting, everything worked. This didn't seem to encourage them to accept that their setup was wrong.

So now I'm back where I was, except I can't have my old Comcast package back so this amazing screw-up is going to cost me hundreds of dollars. I need my phone for work so two days without it is laughable.

Ooma... you suck.
#89879 by highq
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:53 pm
Why do you want to come here with a first message that is so negative, when you might instead have posted details of your problem(s) and received some good help?
#89880 by lbmofo
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:01 pm
Why not give the forum users a shot at helping you? Call Comcast and have them stop the porting process right now before you are stuck with paying them $30 or more every month.
#89881 by speedyvespa
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:19 pm
I don't want to rely on a forum to solve my issues. That's Ooma's job. If the 'experts' don't know how to fix my issues, you're telling me that someone on this forum can? If that's the case, it makes me want to leave Ooma even more.

You may disagree, but $10 per month for no service at all is really expensive in my book.
#89882 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:22 pm
speedyvespa:
Many forum members that help others in this forum, have many years of experience and knowledge. You may be surprised by the help provided in this forum that you can use to solve your problems.

Some times after a phone number port, the Ooma device will become "confused". If you post what problems you are having, more suggestions will be made.

The following are some thing that most often clears up some of problems that people are currently having.

First:
Do an Ooma Telo Factory Reset.
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Second:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Third:
Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Forth:
If you are having outbound calling issues, try this;
For a temporary work around making outbound calls, try using the prefix *99 for Ooma Hubs and *98 or *96 for Ooma Telos.
Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#89883 by speedyvespa
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 pm
Thunderbird: I'm really honestly grateful for the suggestion :) but I was under the impression that I could pick up my phone and make a call in the traditional manner - as my phone line is critical to me, I really don't want to have to jump through hoops and sprinkle water to make it work. It has to be rock-solid reliable and I get the overwhelming sense that Ooma and it's support network is not up to the job.
#89884 by speedyvespa
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:33 pm
Also - when I called (about the 4th time), I was told that there were outages and I should try again 5pm Pacific time yesterday. So what do I do instead? Don't know, came the response, but then I was asked if I would like to take advantage of an offer of 12 months' Premier subscription for only $60?

No, would I *bleep*...
#89885 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:41 pm
speedyvespa:
For my experience with Ooma, overall it has been very good and reliable. I had problems at first, but with forum member help, and e-mails to Ooma Customer Support, the problems were cleared up very quickly. I had some small problems lately, but I did the very things that I have suggested to you to do and the problems cleared up.

I still remember the problems that I had with At&T. We would have service outages for many days at a time, over and over through out the years. There was always static. We had crossed wires, where when someone called us, the phone rang in the neighbor's house. I could go on an on about AT&T service.

I hope that you try some the suggestions provided and see what happens.
#89886 by speedyvespa
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:47 pm
Already gone back to Comcast. Comcast's service has never had a single day's outage in 5 years and the quality is good and the support is average, that is to say, better than some distant crackly voice asking me to turn things off and on again.

Again, I don't want to rely on a forum for a paid service. I expect the company to be able to help. If this was freeware or some kind of open source product then, sure - but I have to say that all the people I spoke with just didn't seem to have any idea. I spent a minute or so explaining my situation very clearly to one individual, telling him that I had no service and could not make or receive calls. His first question to me was: are you using your Ooma service now?

I may have unreasonable expectations according to some of you, but at the very least, I expect someone to actually listen to what I'm saying.