Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#6913 by number9
Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:01 am
This is a quote from Dennis Peng:
Rest assured that we are taking this outage very seriously. Discussions have already started on how to make the service resilient to a similar event in the future. ooma currently has one data center located in west coast. We have planned to light up a second data center in the midwest or east coast this year, and this outage has served as a stark reminder for us to get moving on that. This has also served as a good opportunity for us to re-evaluate our contingency and business continuity plans.

I highly recommend that you move the data center to Northern Indiana. This area has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. We could really use a company like ooma in our backyard. We have highly skilled people that are ready and willing to work, low taxes and cost of living! You can email me for more info.
No I'm not a politician, I'm just some unemployed guy.
#6916 by koehn
Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:21 am
Nothing against Nothern Indiana, but for distater recovery I've had pretty good luck using EC2 from Amazon. It costs you nothing when you're not using it, and you can have a cluster of dozens or even hundreds of servers up and running within a minute or so.

When something like yesterday's occurrence happens, you fire up a cluster of servers and you're back online with barely a hiccup. When your primary data center is back online, you execute a rolling shutdown and shunt traffic back to it. Works like a charm, and since you only pay for servers when you're actually using them (as little as ten cents per instance per hour), it costs next to nothing. For sixty bucks you could have had one hundred servers running yesterday for the entire six hours of the outage.

It's a lot cheaper than maintaining your own offsite/offline data center. It can help stabilize growth as well, as you can bring instances online during peak times (e.g., between 6am and 10pm in the US) and shut them down when they're idle.

I don't work for Amazon, I've just used their services in my professional and personal capacity.
#6920 by WayneDsr
Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:26 am
My vote for Indiana. I'm an unemployed IT person and I'm willing and able! :-) !

Wayne