Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#6809 by scots
Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:35 pm
ooma is working on this feature, and I believe it was announced that they're shooting for adding this on their next update. However, this feature only works when YOUR internet connection goes down...not when ooma's (or Vonage's) internet connection goes down, which is what happened to ooma today.

Beowoof wrote:Vonage provides a service called "Network Availability Number" that can be used in the event of an internet outage. I don't know how this works technically, but it would be helpful if ooma could provide a similar capability.

From Vonage's site: http://www.vonage.com/support.php?article=275

Internet Service Provider Outage

When there is a disruption of service in your broadband Internet Service, Vonage also offers the free option of having a Network Availability Number®. Now you don't have to be inconvenienced if your Internet connection fails. Your calls will be automatically forwarded to the phone number of your choice in the event your Internet connection is disrupted or your telephone adapter is disconnected.

How do I use the Network Availability Number Feature?

The Network Availability Number serves as your "safety net." In the event that your Internet connection is disrupted, calls will automatically be forwarded to the number of your choice. If enabled, calls to your Vonage number will automatically ring at your Network Availability Number.
#6853 by tuckers
Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:08 pm
Really? I had Vonage for about three years, and they never went down ( I had lots of problems with call quality though). Comcast, my ISP did go down pften.

Of course there are outages on many internet services, but I am surprised at the lack of redundancy with Ooma here. Just because there is a local internet outage, doesnt' mean that Oomas ENTIRE network should go down. Local internet outages are fairly common, and a company needs to have a network that can work around that.
#6911 by number9
Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:55 am
The outage did not only effect ooma it effected several large companies,...RIM, TW, Ooma, Blue Cross, Verizon, Google Voice, Yahoo.
It's just one of those things that happens, companies can't control everything no matter how many safe guards are taken.
#6914 by Shell
Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:12 am
While other companies may have been affected their entire customer base didn't lose service as ooma's did. I am pretty happy with ooma but the fact that a local problem caused everyone to lose service really does need to be addressed.But I am sure they are going to work on that issue so it doesn't happen again.
#6986 by frizzo
Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:39 pm
I wonder if during an outage calls could be dynamically routed to a cell phone. Not an expert in P2P network but I’m sure there’s got to be a way to redirect a message from anode to a cell phone in the event of a system failure.. Most company have a well throughout disaster recovery process and I'm sure so does ooma. Unfortunately, server sites cost money and I’m sure ooma will eventually get to the point where there efficiently distributed (at least with in the continental US)
#6997 by thively
Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:00 pm
I paid $47 for AT&T POTS land line service. Even that goes out on average at least once a year and I have to call AT&T to roll the truck out to fix it down the street.
Responsive and quick, yes. But I still had outages of 1-2 days with expensive, reliable, AT&T.
#7000 by tuckers
Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:32 pm
Yes, AT&T may go down in your neighborhood once or twice a year, there are always local interruptions, these are unavoidable. But when was the last time AT&T lost service to ALL it's customers for 12 hours?

I agree that Ooma is a good value, and it's has great pricing. But if it wants to be treated seriously and succeed in this business it needs to have a better distributed network that can stay up and serve customers when local problems arise.

Simply sitting back and saying -- oops bad luck that there was an internet outage in Silicon Valley! better luck next time! isn't doing Ooma any favors. They need to hear loud and clear that they need to fix this in order to succeed in business.

I want Ooma to succeed so I can continue to get this good call quality, great features and price. Ooma is not getting good press from this, it looks bad. And it is going to keep them from getting new customers. It also will keep the gadget gurus in the press from recommending the service, which is one of the best ways to get new customers. Ooma needs a constant influx of customers as this stage in the company to succeed.
#7718 by thively
Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:16 pm
Well as a matter of fact, AT&T lost service to all of it's customers in most of the county just last week (about 1 million customers including 911 centers.) It was due to a sabotage on one fiber optic cable.
A single point of failure took most of it out.
Rare? Yes. It's certainly not even close to typical, but nothing is impervious to wide spread outages.

But I totally get your point and I don't disagree. And thankfully Ooms is not saying "oops bad luck that there was an internet outage in Silicon Valley! better luck next time!" They are saying the opposite, that this exposes some serious weaknesses in the system that they will address.

I think this outage happened a little too easily, which no doubt the point here.

I'm concerned about the perception. Just the one outage has had every Tom, Dick, and Harry comment about how unreliable Ooma is and this does damage to subscriber growth. No subscriber growth, no Ooma, and we're back to paying Vonage, AT&T, or whoever our $25-$50 per month for service that I think is no more reliable.

I think Ooma started with one data center and as subscribers have grown they just haven't yet gotten in to the next phase of secondary or redundant data centers. Literally a growing pain issue.

It's services is obviously not enough for a phone company today, going back to the thread title.

If Ooma's response was "that's the way it'll be, live with it" I'd be done. I'd go back to paid service and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.