Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#83585 by *alf*
Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:25 pm
I have just installed three Ooma's. Three more to go. 2 homes and a Fax. Problem is that one of them is going into 715 area code. First I was told my local telo company did not allow porting, found out today it is Ooma! I made a couple calls to Ooma and got a couple explanations. Not sure if either is true. Why can't I have a house # ported to Ooma? I thought porting was porting and any # had to by law be used if I wanted it? It is not a deal breaker, but with a home # I've had 10+ years, it would be nice (and worth $40) to port it to my Telo.

Thanks in advance for the help.

alf
#83587 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 pm
Some general stuff on local number portability:

All phone numbers are assigned to a local geographic area.

To port your number:

• It must remain associated with the same local geographic area where it is currently assigned.
  • The local geographic area with which your number is associated must be an area where Ooma currently provides service.
#83594 by just4fn
Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:54 pm
lbmofo wrote:Some general stuff on local number portability:

All phone numbers are assigned to a local geographic area.

To port your number:

• It must remain associated with the same local geographic area where it is currently assigned.
  • The local geographic area with which your number is associated must be an area where Ooma currently provides service.

Isn't Ooma throughout the US or are you talking about out of the US?
#83596 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 pm
In certain pockets of US, Ooma may not have carrier agreements in place to service those areas.
#83614 by *alf*
Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:29 am
I guess I still don't get it. If i can buy an Ooma in Northern Wisconsin, I have a No. WI number, then why can't I port it to Ooma? I called in this case Frontier, they said they don't care and port numbers every day. They said talk to Ooma, it was their deal. I called Ooma (three calls), first one was that my carrier (Frontier) didn't allow, second person said that there was a (third party) involved who did not have access??? Third one told me that I had had the number over ten years and you can't port a number that old? HUH? I don't get it.

alf
#83615 by tomcat
Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:40 am
*alf* wrote:Third one told me that I had had the number over ten years and you can't port a number that old? HUH?

The third rep is obviously wrong.

It may be a case that Ooma does not have a partnership with a carrier in that particular area that your number can be ported to.
#83617 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:34 am
*alf* wrote:I called in this case Frontier, they said they don't care and port numbers every day.

True

*alf* wrote:first one was that my carrier (Frontier) didn't allow

Wrong

*alf* wrote:second person said that there was a (third party) involved who did not have access???

Likely the carrier in your area doesn't cover the rate center your number is in....

*alf* wrote:Third one told me that I had had the number over ten years and you can't port a number that old?

Dead wrong but I love it. New definition to "winging it."

Email ntoy or Bobby to help you look into your situation; at the least, they would tell you a straight answer on what's up.
memberlist.php?mode=email&u=107
memberlist.php?mode=email&u=53
#83627 by just4fn
Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:56 pm
I think after 10 years, your phone number gets old and drops numbers, that is why you can't port because of only 5 or 6 numbers are available.
#83965 by vfrdirk
Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:45 am
I'm struggling with this, too, in West Central Wisconsin. I'm told I need to call Ooma to determine whether the number can be ported. I've ported several other numbers in Minnesota with no problems. This is a deal-breaker for me with this installation.
#84564 by MTD2799
Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:51 pm
Same here, I installed Ooma and have really been impressed and was ready to ditch my phone company (Windstream), when I went to port my number I got an error message. Then was told that no carrier was available. That no equipment was in place. There are no numbers available in my entire area code? Any help or suggestions? 229-xxx-xxxx

Also, if I just take the temporary number I have now, will that mean that everyone who calls me on the Ooma number from my hometown will be making a long distance call?

How can I get Ooma to drop into my area code?