Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#5998 by frizzo
Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:55 pm
Purchased my ooma on Friday (3 April, 09) at 4:02 PM CST and I was up and running in less than 30 minute. Though I’m waiting for the porting to be completed, I'm very happy with the service and phone quality.
I can’t wait to call AT&T and tell them to cancel my over $50/month bill.
#5999 by WayneDsr
Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:54 pm
Welcome frizzo! You're gonna love ooma!

Wayne
#6215 by frizzo
Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:37 am
Just spoke to AT&T and the porting will be completed on the 22nd. Though my DSL bill will go up by $10 (bastards lol), I’ll be saving $50/month on my phone bill.
#6217 by oomg
Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:47 am
Only $50! I have more than doubled that.. and I have retained one ATnT line with their all distance service (along with DSL) as a backup.

and maybe I should edit to add that if ooma proves to be as reliable in the long run as it has been thus far, I may retract to the absoulte basic ATnT service, or perhaps even go with DSL (or cable broadband) by itself.
Last edited by oomg on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
#6225 by lohertz
Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:27 am
My ATT plan was $40/mo for unlimited voice service, but by the time taxes and "regulatory fees" took their cut I had a $55 bill. I couldnt believe the 30% "tax" on my service.

I too have DSL and my rate went up 10/mo, but I guess you take your savings where you can.

ATT was "nice" enough to offer me "basic" phone service for $9.00/mo and that would keep my DSL rate at $25/mo, but after taxes and "regulatory fees" my "voice" bill would have been $15

Pre-Ooma
Att voice 40
DSL 25
Taxes 15
Total 80

Ooma
DSL 35

Savings $45
#6246 by thively
Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:26 am
I just completed my porting this week from AT&T and the AT&T line is now shut off.
My AT&T bill as about $48/month with taxes. What killed me about that bill was that I was paying $48/month for something I didn't use all that much. Also, the long distance plan just so I wouldn't get screwed when my wife called her mother. If I didn't have even a LD low plan, the per min charge was outrageous.
Also, Caller ID and all of those "features" are an extra package, which just nickels and dimes the cost up.

We'd use cell phones for LD, but in our house cell coverage isn't very good. Maybe femtocell will change that.

In any case. We don't use the home phone all that often, I just couldn't see paying $50/month for what little I got out of it.

I have Comcast Cable modem. I actually pay extra for higher speed service ($65/month.) That sounds like a lot, but I really do use my cable modem quite a bit so at least I feel I'm getting something for paying the bill.

I figure, why not get more of my money's worth by moving my phone service to this fat pipe that I'm paying so much for and consolidating the cost.

$65 Cable Modem + $47 AT&T is now reduced to $65 cable modem (well + $100/year... which is nothing.)

I thought about reliability. After all AT&T is very reliable and when it does go out they're there the same day to fix it.

But for me home phone service does not have to be that reliable so there's no point in paying a reliability premium. It's not mission critical for me. I have my wireless. And if both go out, I'm in the freakin' suburbs. I can walk down to get help if I had to.

All I care is that it sound GOOD. And Ooma does sound great.
#6270 by hwgang
Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:09 pm
I've had no land line for 5 years now and I don't have reliable cell coverage at home, either. I've lived on Voip quite happily for both personal (home) and businesses needs. Even worked from home for a long distance company and was connected via Viop and the net exclusively. I've had Verizon DSL dry loop (they never could deliver what they promised) and now Comcast internet only.(I'm not a bundler and layer my own technology services quite happily.)

From first learning of ooma to being a customer was just a few days. As fast as Costco could deliver me a hub. I've ported two numbers, kissed $65 in Vonage fees per month good buy, have more features than I've ever had and am in "pinch me" mode that it is all this good.

I have no loyalty. I've been trained not to in the technology marketplace where new customers get the deals and old customers get taken for granted. I'm a cynic by nature. But I am wildly, passionately, in love with ooma. ooma has built a better mousetrap and has a concept I both "get" and appreciate. Thanks, ooma!!
#6271 by frizzo
Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:16 pm
Yes I wish ooma the best of luck. A day doesn’t go by that I don’t exalt the virtues of ooma to anyone who will listen. It's a no brainer, why pay for something you can get for free. The newspaper industry is leaning that lesson the hard way and hopefully the telco's will learn that lesson as well.
#8222 by frizzo
Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:49 pm
Today my number was successfully ported over to ooma. Though I lost mu DSL server for a few hours this morning, all seems to be working fine. I no longer have a land line from AT&T and my dry-loop DSL service is up and running.
#8227 by number9
Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:20 pm
frizzo wrote:Today my number was successfully ported over to ooma. Though I lost mu DSL server for a few hours this morning, all seems to be working fine. I no longer have a land line from AT&T and my dry-loop DSL service is up and running.

Good deal!! Congratulations Frizzo!!!