Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#81125 by sail444
Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 am
Due to the reviews and comments on Amazon.com and Costco.com, I would not normally have bought this product. I did so to be able to have second line/number with a custom greeting message (different from the primary number) for that line which are features of the Premium Ooma service.

At first glance upon opening the package, registering it with the Ooma Telo was very easy. I immediately did not like the display screen (poor viewing, not bright enough, dinky, amateurishly done, out of date design). The display is barely acceptable to me and makes the product look like a $5 kids toy item. It is hard to understand how a startup, like Ooma, could fail to note this or let it come to market with such a poor display design…they need to look at any recent wireless phone system (Panasonic, Uniden, etc.) or cell phone to see how a small display screen should look (graphics, brightness, fonts, etc.). One word on the display: Ugggghhh! Apple would have fired the display designer on the spot.

In any case, I went on to set it up so it acts like a second line with its own phone number and its own unique voice greeting. The instructions to do this are a skimpy but Ooma must think it is so intuitive that no details are needed. Mostly intuitive but better, more organized explanation would be helpful to most.

Finally, after an hour or so, one Ooma handset was configured and voice greeting recorded. With proper instructions or doing a second handset, it should only take 10-15 minutes. The functionality all worked so far with no issues.

The handset physical design is nice, feels solid in the hand, nice finish. The flush key design will appeal to some not to others. There is no place to plug in an earphone for hands-free listening but that is not a big issue for most users. Checking messages from the handset could be quicker but workable, i.e., having to navigate through several layers of voice prompts to start checking messages is a bit cumbersome. A positive feature is that messages can be deleted while it is playing back by hitting the "7" key, i.e., without having to listen to the whole message first. I would like to be able to check messages just by pressing one key, as in my Panasonic 5-year old wireless system. When checking messages and if you do not wish to delete the message, then listen to the whole message and then press the "9" key to indicate "Save Message." If that key is not pressed, i.e., for examle, just exit out, then the "New Message" indicator does not go away.

The charger base is another item which seems poorly designed, in my view. For one, the handset falls out of the charger landing face first on the table whenever it is slightly bumped. The power connector in the back sticks way out (it should be tucked under the charger. When placing the handset on the charger, it does not make contact with the charging connectors about 50% of the time. One has to fiddle a bit to make sure it connects and the blue light comes on. Finally, the handset is almost vertical in the charger, so when it rings one has to lean way down to try to see the caller ID, made worse by the poor display and small font.

I have not found any specifications for the handset. The simple manual which comes with the unit and online quick start guide do not provide any specifications information such as the talk time and standby time of the unit, or other specifics about the unit. I am beginning to suspect that the battery life may be less than typical of other traditional wireless handsets or cell phones. More usage experience will determine this, or I may do a “talk time” test and post it as an update. The standby/talk time is not as great of an issue as cell phones as one can always return the handset to the charger base but sometimes I am used to what I have on my older Panasonic wireless handset system.

The contact list feature on the handset works well and I was able to easily import/add to my contact list online and sync it up with the Telo and handset. Search feature works well but not explained well by Ooma.

Bottom Line: workable to get added Premium Ooma features but poor display/graphics design is the main reason I would take unit back to Costco, i.e., if I ever get tired of looking at that rinky dink display…too bad, it degrades image of Ooma.

Pros:
-- Nice slim, physical design, looks good, except the display
-- Good functionality overall
-- Good contact list function, easy search

Cons:
-- Very poor display quality, font, and graphic design, major issue
-- Poor charger base design, possible poor standby/talk time, inconvenience issue
-- Ringer volume at max setting not quite loud enough, minor issue
-- Poor detail documentation on the Premium features, inconvenience issue
Last edited by sail444 on Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#81137 by murphy
Wed May 11, 2011 11:38 am
sail444 wrote: The keys have no backlighing for nightime use and there is no place to plug in an earphone for hands-free listening. Checking messages from the handset could be quicker but workable, i.e., having to navigate through several layers of voice prompts to start checking messages is a bit cumbersome. Messages could be deleted while it is playing back by hitting the "7" key. I would like to be able to check messages just by pressing one key, as in my Panasonic 5-year old wireless system.

My handset keys are all illuminated.
Go into Phone settings and set Voicemail spkr ON
Press the Envelope key (below the red key) to listen to your voicemail.
Pressing 7 does in fact delete the message you are listening to.
#81163 by ajw522
Wed May 11, 2011 6:17 pm
I just bought my second Ooma Telo Handset, and while my first handset's cradle was fine with no issues w/ charging, my second one had the same issue as yours with not connecting all the time. Contact Ooma and tell them you have a bad cradle and ask for an RMA. I got my RMA cradle today and the problem is gone. The cradle shouldn't been like that.

Good luck!

Alex