Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#80375 by StevesWeb
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:56 pm
Please forgive my noobness. Are these good results from a VOIP speedtest? Looks good to me.
https://skitch.com/steveswebhosting/rhc ... connection

As an introduction, I'm a semi-retired geekish nerd with 33 years experience in wide area networking, never did much with VOIP though. I once upgraded Teletype machines to 300bps modems for a living. Honest.

Just got my Ooma Telo yesterday. It is behind an arcane, obscure dual WAN silicon based router. I have told our router to use only the primary CATV line, not the much lower speed DSL line (backup only).

I'm replacing a Vonage router which fails 100% of the time when Time Warner bestows one of their frequent 30 second long cable Internet outages. After each such outage while using our Vonage VOIP the call supervision still works, calls come in, calls go out, but neither called party nor calling party can ever hear the other at all until the Vonage modem is power cycled. Hateses it.

Of course I tried putting the Vonage modem directly behind first one, then the other of our WAN modems (Cable modem, DSL modem) but it could not pass data fast enough to meet my requirements. I maintain 5 webservers and I'm constantly pushing data up to them.

From what I have read here I've told my Ooma Telo to use its own MAC address, I zeroed out its settings for QoS

If Ooma can recover from the frequent Time Wanker outages and still let people hear each other I shall be canceling Vonage and keeping Ooma. So far it seems Ooma has bridged one such outage, so that is looking good. I gave Ooma 1mbps down and 768kbps up in the QoS settings of my router. Sound quality is fairly good to one echo test number.

Since I began composing this message there have been two brief Time Wanker outages and Ooma is still working. I think we might have a winner.
#80380 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:18 pm
StevesWeb welcome.

Your VoIP Speed test looks good.

My Ooma Telo automatically connects, without any problems, after a network outage, without fail.
#80388 by StevesWeb
Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:55 pm
Thanks for the welcome.

Our wonderful cable Internet connection has now failed twice since I setup Ooma, and DH just used the phone which was working.

Sayonara Vonage!

I can haz smiley face :)
#80395 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:30 pm
Welcome StevesWeb, have you looked into the possibilty that your modem might be bad?
#80400 by StevesWeb
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:51 pm
lbmofo wrote:Welcome StevesWeb, have you looked into the possibilty that your modem might be bad?

I suppose you mean our cable modem. I have observed that during these brief outages the cable modem is as happy as a lark, no issues with signal level or SNR. My theory has been that it is a transit problem between our home and the point one hundred miles away where the Time Warner network connects to the Internet proper. All routes from our home traverse this 100 mile route and we have often observed router issues where large chunks of the Internet become unreachable while other parts are still routed. The DHCP servers they are using refer us to DNS servers over 100ms away that frequently fail to resolve extremely well known domain names like Yahoo.com and Google.com.

I've been pinning it on routing because it all started when Time Warner shut down a POP in our city and started routing all traffic through Orange County. Of course they referred to this consolidation as an "upgrade".

If you meant to ask if I have considered whether the Vonage modem is defective I'm absolutely certain it is, but apparently by design. There is a definite one to one correlation between the Time Warner outages reported by our router and the Vonage modem no longer transferring voice traffic. It never fails if there has not been an outage and it always fails if there has been one. Vonage will soon join Verizon on my list of ex-phone companies.

But I'll go back to Verizon in a heartbeat if and when they run fiber down our street.
#80401 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:55 pm
I meant the cable modem. Perhaps, do a restore factory default on the cable modem and reboot to force "re-learning" of your line charateristics may help.
#80410 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 pm
StevesWeb wrote:Thanks for that suggestion, I might just give that a try.

lbmofo wrote:...through a reset button on the modem device or through modem device URL page: http://192.168.100.1 do a "restore factory default" and reboot. This will make your modem relearn your cable line parameters/characteristics. Worth a shot.
#80527 by StevesWeb
Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:36 pm
Well, I did do a factory reset/reboot on our cable modem and it has had no effect on the frequent gifts of brief downtime we receive at no extra charge from Time Wanker.

But the good news is that these momentary outages do not take out our Oooma in the way that they always cause our Vonage modem to fail.

If the Ooma passes the weekly Sunday phone call to Scotland test it will be curtains for Vonage.