Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#77737 by rharkins
Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:49 am
When I chose to purchase my Ooma, there were two features included with the Premier service that were very important to me. Number one was the ability to port my old AT&T number over to Ooma. The port was supposed to be free with a one year advance purchase of Premier.

Number two was the free second number in any US city. My wife's family is in a different city, and it would be great for them to be able to call a local number and get in touch with her. Again, the Premier feature page says this is free.

Now I find out that after porting my AT&T number, the temporary number that was assigned by Ooma during setup has become my 'free' second number. If I want to choose a different number there will be an additional $20 fee.

Admittedly, during initial setup I could have told Ooma that I was located in my wife's home town, but this would have been far from obvious.

How about some documentation on this 'quirk', Ooma? Or some slack on changing the second number after a port...
#77742 by 2spirit
Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:34 am
As a free alternative, you could set up a Google Voice number local to your wife's parents and then direct those calls to your Ooma number. That's what I do and it works like a charm. You could then utilize Ooma's Google Voice Extensions if you choose to do so.
#77771 by southsound
Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:53 pm
I have found ooma to be more than fair in almost every situation - but the people on the support line have only limited authority and are unable to do other than what policy dictates. That said, since you are an Annual Premier customer, I believe they may be able to give you a little grace. Especially since there seems to be confusion regarding what happens to your current number. Why not contact one of our most awesome advocates, Norman Toy, and see what he can do. If he can help, I would recommend keeping it on the downlow so we don't have loads of other folks trying to take advantage of their kindness in your particular situation.
#79632 by tomcat
Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:09 pm
rharkins wrote:Now I find out that after porting my AT&T number, the temporary number that was assigned by Ooma during setup has become my 'free' second number. If I want to choose a different number there will be an additional $20 fee.
How about some documentation on this 'quirk', Ooma? Or some slack on changing the second number after a port...

Here's the documentation stating that your ported number should have replaced your temp number...

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/147
What happens to my temporary number after my number has been ported to Ooma?

Once your number has been successfully ported to Ooma, it will replace your temporary number as the default phone number for your Ooma account. Your temporary number will be released back into the pool of available numbers. If you would like to keep your temporary number permanently, you can contact Customer Care by emailing loa@ooma.com at any time during the number porting process to request that your temporary number be assigned as a virtual number on your account.