Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#5470 by koehn
Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:11 am
I've been playing around with IPv6 since Google's announcement yesterday, and since my Ooma is behind my Apple router (which supports IPv6) I've been able to tunnel IPv6 using 6to4. I'm trying to get Comcast to give me a real IPv6 address so that I don't need to tunnel and can route IPv6 directly to other machines.

Woohoo! IPv6 is great! No more NAT, every device gets its own publicly-addressable IP address, QoS and encryption are actually supported; what could be better?

Unfortunately, Ooma doesn't support IPv6, so if I put my router behind my Ooma, I can't get any tunneling to work. I know it's probably really low on your to-do list, but adding support for IPv6 in node and/or 6to4 tunneling mode would be just fantastic.
#6740 by joey
Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:31 pm
I have a dual-stack network. I'd love to eventually move everything over to IPV6 so I would like to see ipv6 support as well but it's behind datacenter scalability and distributed proxy servers.
#50845 by rodneys
Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:36 pm
I agree, I want IPv6 support in the Ooma Hub. Comcast is rolling out IPv6 trials this year - in Q2 and Q3 2010.
#59899 by virtualfreak
Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:46 am
Any update on when the OOMA Hub will have IPv6 capability? It's the last piece of equipment on my home network that doesn't support it yet.
#59901 by murphy
Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:57 am
virtualfreak wrote:Any update on when the OOMA Hub will have IPv6 capability? It's the last piece of equipment on my home network that doesn't support it yet.

My guess would be never. It's no longer being manufactured.
#59930 by virtualfreak
Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:22 pm
Interesting point. But just because its not in current production doesn't mean OOMA won't continue to support it and provide critical updates. That would be a lousy business model and a good way to lose customers. In my case, I purchased the HUB from a retailer less than 8 months ago. But if your right, and I must purchase different hardware just to get IPv6 then I'm shopping for another VOIP provider that understands having hardware that is extensible. If their is no hardware limitation, I think its in their best interest to provide a firmware update that supports IPv6 for the Hub.
#59943 by murphy
Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:59 am
There is plenty of time left to support IPv6. Comcast claimed they would begin initial testing of IPv6 in June. It's now mid July and according to their web site they have one business class customer and one residential class customer set up on the test. At that rate it will be a long time coming. Most residential routers do not support IPv6. Even my Cisco/Linksys dual band gigabit router doesn't have the support unless you install DD-WRT firmware which invalidates the warranty. My prediction is it will be at least two more years before IPv6 comes in to general use.