Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#76445 by larryh
Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 pm
I have frequent calls to 800-531-5602 I suspect this is to DirecTV. I have dialed the number and get handshaking chatter, like a fax or dial up modem.

Anyone know how to stop this (other than disconnecting the DirecTV receiver from the phone)?
#76447 by murphy
Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:39 am
That is a DirectTV number.
The only way you can stop the calls is to disconnect the phone line from the DirectTV box.
Why do you care? The calls don't cost you any money.
The DirectTV may (I don't know) stop working if it can't call in.
#76450 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:00 am
Quote:
For Certain DIRECTV Receivers.
Will the DIRECTV receiver phone connection interfere with regular phone usage?
No. A modem inside your receiver makes a toll-free call to the DIRECTV computer system in the middle of the night. The modem's call only lasts a few seconds and if you are using the phone, it will try again later.
Why do I need to connect my DIRECTV receiver to my phone line?
Customers need to connect their receivers to a landline phone for billing and Pay per View purposes. The connection sends purchase information from the receiver to the DIRECTV computer system. The phone connection allows DIRECTV customers to order Pay Per View movies and events with their remote control, get popular sports subscriptions such as the NFL Sunday Ticket and have the programming subscription on their main receiver "mirrored" to other receivers that are connected to the same phone line.
#76555 by WayneDsr
Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:12 am
I asked Direct TV and they told me the same thing. If you purchase via TV it will need to communicate. Most people purchase via internet. Other than that, Direct TV units update via satellite, so a phone connection is not needed. I have an older box and a newer box and neither has been connected to a phone line for years.

Wayne