Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#75541 by wirefull
Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 pm
Greetings,
I was a bit skeptical about what to expect from a "free" phone service - it appears I probably got what I paid for.
I did NOT sign up for the primium service, but am getting charged for it, though, using none of the "premium benefits". I figured $10/mo is cheap anyway and I'd like to see Ooma succeed, so I didn't complain.

Call quality has been so-so. Sometimes the phone is dead, sometimes "clicking" sounds accompany conversation; yeasterday an international call dropped 5 times after 1 minute of conversation each time. My wife finally switched to her cell phone. I really don't like the perceptable lag between when I say something and when the other party hears it, but maybe all VOIP has this problem.

After we put 50 bucks on the internationa account, the automated "minutes left" message says we have 1300 minutes for calls to Thailand. That's 3.8 cents per minute, not the 3.3 cents advertised now. When I signed-up, they were advertising 1 to 2 cents per minute, I guess the price went up.

I have no tolerance for dishonesty and am willing to pay for quality. I don't expect Ooma will improve and expect to switch to Vonage when our pre-paid International account runs down.
#75542 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 am
wirefull wrote:Greetings,
I was a bit skeptical about what to expect from a "free" phone service - it appears I probably got what I paid for.
I did NOT sign up for the primium service, but am getting charged for it, though, using none of the "premium benefits". I figured $10/mo is cheap anyway and I'd like to see Ooma succeed, so I didn't complain.

Hello wirefull, during the Premier trial, if you don't opt out, at the end of the trial, you are automatically enrolled. However, at anytime, if you don't want Premier, you can call customer service to discontinue. No one is forcing you to have Premier.

wirefull wrote:Call quality has been so-so. Sometimes the phone is dead, sometimes "clicking" sounds accompany conversation; yeasterday an international call dropped 5 times after 1 minute of conversation each time. My wife finally switched to her cell phone. I really don't like the perceptable lag between when I say something and when the other party hears it, but maybe all VOIP has this problem.

When you have a chance, take a look at these couple of threads talking about correcting voice quality issues and optimal setup.
viewtopic.php?t=10023
viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

wirefull wrote:After we put 50 bucks on the internationa account, the automated "minutes left" message says we have 1300 minutes for calls to Thailand. That's 3.8 cents per minute, not the 3.3 cents advertised now. When I signed-up, they were advertising 1 to 2 cents per minute, I guess the price went up.

After each call, you can take a look at your prepaid activity here: https://my.ooma.com/account/prepaid

Here is where you look up international rates: https://www.ooma.com/products/international-rates

You can read up on the details. Charged calls have 18% Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee. Unless you are enrolled in an international plan, there is a connection fee of 3.9 cents as well.

wirefull wrote:I have no tolerance for dishonesty and am willing to pay for quality. I don't expect Ooma will improve and expect to switch to Vonage when our pre-paid International account runs down.

There is no deception in how Ooma charges for international calls. Everything is written on the rates page.
As for the Premier enrollment, during the activation process, Ooma tells folks what to do (opt out) if they don't want to get automatically enrolled at the end of the trial. No decpetion there either.
#75547 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:06 am
wirefull:

We started using the International 1000 minutes a month plan, costing $9.99 per month plus tax, from the beginning. It almost matches phone card prices. Those prices are certainly much cheaper than what we were paying with AT&T.

My wife calls China several times during the week, but mostly on the weekend, talking for hours, without any problems during the calls at all.

When we first started using Ooma we had dropped International calls also. I had to configure our router and the Ooma Telo to obtain good quality of service.

How do you have your Ooma device connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

What is the manufacture's name and model numbers of your Modem and Router?

Who is your Internet service provider?

Have you ran http://www.speedtest.net/ and http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to check your Internet speeds and see if you have any dropped packets?
#76094 by wirefull
Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:04 am
Hi Thunderbird, lbmofo,
For the record, the dropped international calls are unusual Wife only complained about it once since we bought the Telo Aug last year. Before OP I made the permanent MAC address tweak to Telo setup. The phone problem happened again last night. I was streaming video on a 1.5Mbit connection. Quit the video streaming; subsequently, call proceeded normally for about 45min. Yeah, I know, 1.5Mb isn't much - will probably start paying more (to cable-co. monopoly) for more bandwidth.

Also, will follow suggestion and purchase the 1000minute international plan - and stop paying for unused "premium" features.

Apologies to Ooma,
Cheers!