Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#74040 by legendsguy
Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:04 am
I have had Ooma a couple years now and really like it. It has only gone down once in that that time for about 4 hours. I am thinking of upgrading to a Telo. For those of you that have upgraded, was it worth it? The whole idea of Ooma is to save money so I don't want to spend a couple hundred if the upgrade is not worth it. Advice? Thanks.
#74047 by murphy
Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:53 am
If you are using two physical phone lines with the hub, via a scout, you will not be able to do that with the Telo. The Telo's second line can only be used on a Telo handset.
The Telo has several features that don't exist on the hub.
#74640 by rortt
Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:57 am
I am also interested in knowing what people think between the Hub/Scout vs. the Telo.

I have had the Hub/Scout setup for over two years, and they work great. The scouts have been good for us as we use them as answering machines in two locations of the house so I can keep the Hub burried in the network closet. One of the scouts is also setup with our second line.

The Telo is supposed to have better voice service and it certainly is designed to use with the Telo Handsets. I have heard these handsets are pretty cheap and not up to the quality standards of others. Unfortunately, you need to use these handsets for a majority of the Telo functions.

Any input from those who have had the Ooma Hub/Scouts and have used the Telo?

Thanks,

Rich
#74663 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 am
rortt wrote:The scouts have been good for us as we use them as answering machines in two locations of the house so I can keep the Hub burried in the network closet.

You'll miss the voicemail station capability of the Scout but Telo handsets and most new phones (connected to Telo) will reflect that you got VM and you can check VM via the phone or your Telo handset.

The hardwired 2nd line (provided by Scout's phone port) will also be missing if you assign a 2nd number to a Telo handset.

But Telo has other functions that you don't have with Hub.

GVE, Bluetooth, HD.

Hub vs Telo: viewtopic.php?t=9245#p64442
#74757 by grecni
Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:17 pm
For me the upgrade was worth it though it did complicate things a bit.

I had a hub, two scouts and 2 lines. I had the hub and one scout in my home office (which is where my internet connection is). I had the scout set up as dedicated device for my second line. The other scout was out in my living room where it was easily visible in case there was a voice message. I also had a two line phone in my office, on line going to the hub the other to the scout.

This worked fine except most of the times I was on conference calls, other folks would complain about the my voice quality. I could always here them fine and one on one conversations were fine but it got to the point that I could not use Ooma for conference calls.

I decided to upgrade to see if that helped and it did. Since doing the upgrade I have not had any complaints on conference calls. I can't be sure if its because of the Telo base unit, or that I'm not using my old handset or not using my old headset. I usually use a Telo handset or my bluetooth adapter.

On the down side it made having two lines more difficult. I want to always use line 2 when in my home office and leave line 1 open for my family. The way I solved this was to purchase a second Telo handset and dedicate it to line 2. I still have my old phone base unit in my office as well so I can answer/call using line one. It's a bit of a kludge but it works.

I like using the bluetooth headset but it's a bit of kludge to use it. I have to dial using my Telco handset then transfer the call to the bluethooth headset. If both lines are in use, you can't do this.

Was it worth the money? For me yes because I not longer have problems with conference calls.