Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#5147 by davenk
Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:44 am
My Ooma setup is without a local landline, and I've been with the service now for 3 months.

My wife keeps telling me that she hears someone else on the line (other than the intended call recipient) when she makes calls through our Ooma home phone set up. Specifically, light breathing noises and she has also mentioned that after the person she called hangs up, she waits a few seconds, the phone doesn't disconnect and that's when she can really tell someone else is on the line. Only after she asks if there's someone there does it click over.

She hasn't heard or read about any of the Distributed Termination routing and potential for eavesdropping (and I sure as hell didn't tell her because it would just make her more skeptical)

Just and FYI -- We don't have anybody else living in our house, so there's no one picking up any of our internal phones and listening in.

Personally, I haven't noticed it, but I travel 25 days a month so I have limited interaction with the system.

Anybody have similar issues?

Thanks
#5150 by murphy
Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:04 pm
Are you using a cordless phone? If so, switch to a corded phone to see if the problem goes away.
#5151 by koehn
Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:09 pm
The whole distributed termination thing isn't used anymore; all of your calls go through VOIP and never go through somebody else's land line.

One thought that occurs to me: could somebody be listening in on the person whom your wife is calling? That, or somebody intercepting your cordless phone would be likely scenarios. Anybody smart enough to tap an encrypted VOIP session (and that's not easy) would be smart enough to not let you hear them, which would be trivial in this digital age.
#5152 by davenk
Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:15 pm
we do have only cordless dect 6.0 phones. She never noticed an issue when we used those same phones on our old Verizon land line -- only started happening after the switch to ooma.

we did recently reset our verizon provided wireless router, and i don't think she re-established the wireless security. Don't think somebody get through to the ooma if they have access to our wireless network -- and access to our network would clearly be limited to our direct neighbors...
#5153 by southsound
Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:26 pm
Are you feeding the phone output from the ooma hub back into your house wiring so you can use phones in other rooms? If so, there is a potential that you are also feeding that signal to the pair of telco wires that go to the network cabinet in your neighborhood. If a telco installer was careless, this pair could be terminated in someone elses house. Just guessing here, but this type of backfeeding is possible if you did connect up your house this way. It is why it is dangerous for the power utilities when someone hooks up a generator at their house incorrectly. It feeds power back into the system when they believe the line is dead.

To correct the situation, if that is what is causing it, go to the little network interface box on the outside of your house and unplug the short cable from the jack inside the box. The jack is what is connected to the telco and the short cable connects to your home wiring.
#5154 by davenk
Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:48 pm
I do have the hub feeding into the home network, so all lines are live in the house. I have a central network interface in my closet, but not sure if that is the same thing that you are referencing, or if there is a separate interface outside that i need to look at.

I disconnected the telco line that comes into the home network cabinet in my closet, and connected the hub phone output to that (that's my current setup that works) but did not disconnect anything else. There's a mess of wiring in there, and I only found one telco line coming into the cabinet.

Are you saying there is one more short line in there that i need to disconnect? Or is there something I need to disconnect outside?
#5156 by southsound
Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:36 pm
It is most likely on the outside. They are typically on the outside so the telco people can test without going in your house. It is also the point where the telco's resposibility ends. I believe regulations mandate the jack and cable as a way for you to test to see if a problem with your phone service is in the house (your problem and they get to charge you if they fix it) or iwith the network (their problem - they have to fix it for free). If you had a landline, you could plug a regular phone into that jack and be able to see if there was service. This picture from wikipedia shows what one of the larger boxes looks like:
#5157 by davenk
Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:46 pm
Thanks -- I do have one of those nice big boxes sitting outside the garage.

I have fiber optic service from Verizon FIOS, and I'm assuming I have 2 separate lines coming in -- 1 for the TV & Internet through fiber lines, and then a separate telco line for the phone.

So, I can just disconnect that Telco line without disrupting my (or anyone else's) service?
#5158 by southsound
Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:58 pm
We don't have FIOS available here - in fact, we just got DSL availabililty in January, so I don't know how Verizon terminates the fiber. We have fiber coming into our church, but it comes in as fiber into a box about 18" square and comes out as a single RJ45. Maybe someone else can answer about the FIOS. But the voice line will have the little plug and jack like I mentioned earlier. It should not affect anyone else - the interface is just for your home. If for some reason the FIOS is coming in on copper like DSL, then you will loose the TV and Internet if you unplug the one that serves those connections. Just plug it back in and you should be OK.
#5159 by southsound
Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:12 pm
Your FiOS box <<may>> looke something like this:

credit: wikipedia

I believe one of the four jacks on the right may go to the other network interface that used to supply your phone wiring. That second box is where you will want to disconnect the plug.

Headed out to the store for a couple of hours - I'll check back when I return to see what you have found.