Ooma warranty offer

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
highq

Ooma warranty offer

Post by highq » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:46 pm

There just popped up in my mailbox an offer from Ooma to let me buy up to two years of an extended warranty for my Telo, at $39.99 per annum.

There lurks in my mind some old advice from Consumer Reports to eschew extended warranties for digital and/or electronic equipment, so I'm inclined to pass on this offer.

Any counterarguments?

nn5i

Re: Ooma warranty offer

Post by nn5i » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:47 pm

No counterarguments from me, only full agreement. Most failures in electronic equipment (after a few iterations of the design) are of the kind engineers call "infant mortality". Almost all of the non-infant-mortality failures occur after extended service. In between, failures are few. The resultant curve (failure rate plotted against time) is usually called a "bathtub curve" because it's high at the ends, and low and flat in the middle.

Extended warranties are a bad deal. They have to be a bad deal: if the statistical return for the consumer were greater than 1.0, those selling the warranties would go bankrupt.

highq

Post by highq » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:41 am

That last remark almost invalidates insurance in general.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Indeed it does -- almost. I never insure anything I can afford to lose, for that reason. If the loss would wipe me out, the choice doesn't depend purely upon statistical return: it's then the choice between some risk of being wiped out, and no risk of being wiped out. So I have car insurance, but I never buy extended warranties. Never.

I think, once years ago, I had to replace a microwave oven on which I could have purchased an extended warranty, and had not. It wasn't so bad -- by that time the darned thing was several generations old anyway. The one that failed had cost $400 or so at Sears, and the replacement cost $127 at Sam's and was bigger and better, with more features and greater ease of use.

Doubtless in another couple years Ooma will have new models too, eh?

Cheers! I enjoy your posts.