Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#73134 by jcarcopo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:00 am
_______________________REGARDING THIS NEWS THAT I FIND HARD TO BELIEVE_________________________
by Team Ooma Filed in: News
We need to find more space on the award shelf at Ooma Headquarters! We are really pleased to let you know that last night at a special ceremony at CES, Ooma Telo received the honor of “2011 Product of the Year!” from Electronic House Magazine. Electronic House Magazine’s panel of industry experts, integrators and editors came together to select an exclusive group of products deemed most noteworthy for 2011 and recognized Ooma Telo as the most advanced “Telephone / Telecom / Intercom” product.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
:o Did electronic House even bother to test the Ooma Telo Handsets? They are deplorable. They randomly freeze and require battery pulls. They don’t ring simultaneously :!: The Caller ID/call log information is not identical among the handsets (often missing 80% of the incoming calls :!: ) and doesn’t even match my Panasonic Caller ID list which is 100% correct. The displays are of the lowest quality. The phones themselves are laboriously slow and the screen lags behind the user’s key presses. I went through 12 Telo handsets to end up with 4 that still are not working right after several firmware updates :!: Often time I go to pick up the Telo Handset and I am greeted with a frozen phone that won't pickup and I reach for a 2nd handset I realize that it is not ringing at all. I reach for a 3rd handset and it is the Panasonic that works everytime and has much better call quality in both directions than the Telo BETA Prototype failure :!: I have had friend complain and beg me to switch to the Panasonic phone because they hate the quality from the Telo! "HD VOICE QUALITY"...Are you kidding me :?: This product should have been recalled and customers should have been refunded their money. I will never buy another OOMA product again :!: :!: I spent over $900 between the original OOMA HUB/SCOUT, TELO, 4 TELO HANDSETS, 2 YEARS OF PREMIERE SERVICE, and I think I should sell the whole buggy setup on ebay and I will be done with OOMA. OOMA you are losing your once very loyal patrons by releasing a prototype in a rush to make the Christmas Holiday season well over a year ago to raise capital. This move has cost you thousands of very upset and irate customers that have put up with excuses and promises of future firmware updates that would fix outstanding issues with this brick you call a cordless phone. I intentionally posted this in your "beta feature feedback" because the OOMA TELO HANDSET is a beta prototype stuck in perpetuity:!: :!: :!:
Last edited by jcarcopo on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#73136 by southsound
Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:01 am
Wow! What a brave person to post their actual phone number (in bold, no less) on a public forum. I'm not sure how wise it is to do so but I admire your courage!
#73139 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:35 am
Man....took 12 handsets to settle on 4? Anyone else had to toss 66+% of their handsets before finding a working handset?

Either you have been

1) very unlucky or
2) you are unreasonably demanding or
3) your expectations are not inline with available Telo/handset features
#73170 by jcarcopo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 am
lbmofo wrote:Man....took 12 handsets to settle on 4? Anyone else had to toss 66+% of their handsets before finding a working handset?

Either you have been

1) very unlucky or (My returns were prompted by Roy Calvo, VP of Operations)
2) you are unreasonably demanding or (I only ask that it do what any DECT 1.8 Cordless does and simply work properly)
3) your expectations are not inline with available Telo/handset features (Do you own a Telo Handset?)
#73171 by jcarcopo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:30 am
southsound wrote:Wow! What a brave person to post their actual phone number (in bold, no less) on a public forum. I'm not sure how wise it is to do so but I admire your courage!

Not brave. I simply don't rely on Ooma anymore. I waited a year for the problems to go away. I have the latest firmware. Ooma support has made claims that certain problems with their product are not going away and told me to get used to it.

Anyone want to buy a entire OOMA TELO SETUP with 4 Telo Handsets + 4 PANASONIC DECT 1.8GHZ Cordless Phones + 2 Years of OOMA PREMIER? My account is also grandfathered in from the original hub and I pay no regulatory fees.

Call me if interested in a great deal on pile of junk.

50% Retail for everything.

:D
#73172 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:42 am
Just my 2 cents here. If you hate the Telo handset so much, why not just use Telo and your Panny handsets as basic phone service? Unreliable to you even in that configuration?
#73173 by Trinimd
Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:04 pm
I agree the handset does suck.

Luckily I didnt pay for one of mine.
#73184 by jcarcopo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:30 pm
lbmofo wrote:Just my 2 cents here. If you hate the Telo handset so much, why not just use Telo and your Panny handsets as basic phone service? Unreliable to you even in that configuration?

If I went with that configuartion then I would not have purchased Premier or $200 for Ooma Handsets that perform subpar. I bought into the idea that I would need Premier for Google Voice integration and contact syncing as well as 2nd line which forces you to get a telo handset.

I would be very happy if OOMA would simply refund my account for 2 year of OOMA Premier & for the subpar Telo Handsets. :P
I am not the only person who feels that the Telo Handset was a horribly excuted product. I am just the loudest. :o
#73188 by ajw522
Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:27 pm
For what its worth, when I call my Ooma-Telo-using friend using my Ooma Telo Handset, and he answers with his Panasonic phone, I'm the one begging HIM to switch the the Telo Handset so we can have HD voice. The quality really sucked with the Panasonic.

I agree the handsets are not great, they are slow, they have a bad screen, etc. But it provides access to the features that it intends to do, and, therefore, fulfills its purpose. Could Ooma make a better one? Most definitely. But is their handset right now able to be dealt with? Yes.

Just my $.02
#73194 by jcarcopo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm
ajw522 wrote:For what its worth, when I call my Ooma-Telo-using friend using my Ooma Telo Handset, and he answers with his Panasonic phone, I'm the one begging HIM to switch the the Telo Handset so we can have HD voice. The quality really sucked with the Panasonic.

I agree the handsets are not great, they are slow, they have a bad screen, etc. But it provides access to the features that it intends to do, and, therefore, fulfills its purpose. Could Ooma make a better one? Most definitely. But is their handset right now able to be dealt with? Yes.

Just my $.02

What cordless phone do you know of has to be rebooted?
Doesn't ring all handsets simulataneously?
Locks up when attempting to answer calls?
Has incorrect/incomplete caller-id information
Handset hibernates and forgets to wake up when a call comes in?
Has such sucky battery life that an update was applied to create a standby hibernation mode that causes it not to ring in time and not register incoming caller id properly?
Uses old fashion battery packs that are more costly than available AA and AAA rechargable available for Panasonic?
Dim & hard to read lcd display?
Is slow and sluggish to key presses and has 1 second delay between key presses?

Here's a quarter, keep the change. :P