Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#5083 by jimayers
Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:41 pm
hi - I thought it would be very nice to incorporate Ooma as a surf control device!
I have been looking for hardware to help with my wireless networked home. My kids use the netbooks (which seems to be the wave of the future), BUT can not load any type of surf control on them.

Thanks for listening - Jim Ayers
#5237 by Bobby B
Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 am
Thanks for the suggestion -- web filtering is feature that is definitely on the horizon.
#5369 by jimayers
Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:54 pm
maximumod wrote:If you have a spare pc you don't use you can install Untangle. It's free and has many features besides just web filtering. http://www.untangle.com

I have my personal PC wired right next to my Ooma device, modem, and hub (all other computers are wireless). How could I set up my wired PC to acted as the web filter? Do I need additional hardware (seems like I would)?

Thanks for your help - Jim Ayers
#5479 by maximumod
Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:07 am
You have a couple of ways to install Untangle. For my setup I have AT&T Uverse as my ISP. Uverse modem has 5 network ports, I have a spare pc that is dedicated only to Untangle with 2 network cards, and a 8 port switch for my hard wired pc's and wireless access point.

Ignore the dashes, it's just to keep the format correct.

-------------------------------[Uverse Modem]
---------------------------------|-------------|
---------------------------[Untangle]----[Omma]
-------------------------------|
------------------------[8 port Switch]
-------------------------|----|------|
--------------------[Server] [PC] [Wireless AP]

My bandwidth is 10 down 1.5 up from Uverse. I set QOS on the Untangle to 8 down and 1 up. This way I don't have Oooma as my router or have to fight to get it to work through my Untangle router. My computer network is completly isolated from Ooma. My untagnle has all the free options installed. Just install the free apps and you are golden. http://www.untangle.com/Product-Overview
#5958 by jimayers
Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:33 pm
So it looks like I would just need an additional network card for my PC, which currently only has one. Is there any specifications for the new card? IE, one network card is for "in", the other card is for "out." Does the additional card automatically network "out"?

Can I reasonably use my desktop PC as the server for Untangle?

Thanks - Jim Ayers