Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#70636 by leob
Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:11 pm
I would like to be able to get an Ooma dialtone by calling my Ooma home phone number from any phone and entering a passcode at the voicemail greeting, or if a person who picked up the phone presses some button combination on the Ooma and hangs up.
#70637 by southsound
Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:19 pm
I realize this is a request but I'm wondering - would this be to take advantage of the International calling plans or to make calls across the US for free? If it is the latter, you could use Google Voice. Just a thought.
#70641 by leob
Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 pm
southsound wrote:I realize this is a request but I'm wondering - would this be to take advantage of the International calling plans or to make calls across the US for free? If it is the latter, you could use Google Voice. Just a thought.

Primarily to take advantage of the international calling plans; or to call someone expecting to see a particular phone number on their CID.
#70650 by southsound
Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:51 am
Thanks - then I agree, it would be a nice feature as long as the Telo user could maintain system security through a private passcode. It's a feature that is normally associated with PBX systems - either POTS or VoIP and called DISA (Direct Inward System Access). DISA allows someone calling in from outside the telephone switch (PBX) to obtain an "internal" system dialtone and dial calls as if from one of the extensions attached to the telephone switch.
#70730 by leob
Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:34 pm
I don't see a reason to tie Ooma features to any particular mobile phone vendor.
And no, I don't have any gadget whose name starts with the lowercase "i".
#70781 by oomg
Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:57 am
I have a toll free (888) number through a company known as Toktumi which I acquired primarily so that incoming callers could call me without incurring toll charges. It is also promoted as a virtual PBX. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could use this line exactly as has been suggested. Incoming calls from specified numbers (whether landline or cell) have the option of accessing the system for outgoing calls on the Toktumi line (whether it is toll free number or otherwise). Works very well. This would be an excellent enhancement to Ooma's service, particularly for those who do not need or want a toll free incoming number.

Toktumi has also created an iPhone app (and soon to be Android app) called Line2 which allows the cell phone user to make VOIP calls over his Toktumi/Line2 number via wifi or 3G service. As of this writing, Line2 also allows incoming VOIP calls to be received on iPhone (so long as wifi or 3G service is available). So, it appears that they are slightly ahead of Ooma in terms of development in this particular area. The price for a Toktumi number (whether toll free or otherwise) is $14.95 per month, but a pared down version of Line2 is available for $9.95 per month. My Toktumi number includes the Line2 service on my iPhone. Ooma Premier subscribers get 250 minutes of Ooma Mobile service free each month, and can add 1,000 minutes for $4.99 per month. For most cell phone users, the Ooma Mobile combined with their cell phone minutes is more than adequate, and thus, may be the better bargain. Also, Ooma claims that their PureVoice technology reduces 3G bandwidth usage by up to 60% when making a call with Ooma Mobile. I don't have a basis for comparison of bandwidth usage with Toktumi, so there may (or may not) be an advantage to Ooma in this category. If the user has an unlimited data plan, the bandwidth usage may not be an area of concern.

If anyone is interested in trying Toktumi or Line2, I think I might be entitled to a free month of their service if my "agent" identification number (170706) is plugged into the system (not sure where). Also, Toktumi offers a free month as a trial. See, http://toktumi.com/

Although is is possible to run Toktumi as a stand alone service, it is really intended to run as a virtual PBX whether for a family or a home/office. Thus, IMHO, Ooma and Toktumi make a great combination.
Last edited by oomg on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
#70783 by oomg
Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:10 am
leob wrote:I don't see a reason to tie Ooma features to any particular mobile phone vendor.
And no, I don't have any gadget whose name starts with the lowercase "i".

Toktumi does not require an iPhone. Any number, including VOIP, cell, or POTS can be designated as an authorized access number (up to 8 authorized access numbers are allowed). Putting the Toktumi on your speed dial gains quick access, at which time the target number must be manually dialed. At present, the Line2 (automated access) feature is limited to the iPhone, but an app for Android based cell phones is promised within the next week or so.
#71070 by oomg
Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:23 am
As of today, Toktumi's Line2 feature is available for android based cell phones.
http://www.line2.com/index.html

If anyone is interested in trying Toktumi or Line2, I think I might be entitled to a free month of their service if my "agent" identification number (170706) is plugged into the system (not sure where). Also, Toktumi offers a free month as a trial. See, http://toktumi.com/

Since I currently have an iPhone, I can use both Ooma Moblie and Line2 (which as stated above, is included with my regular Toktumi service). Thus, in effect, I can have 3 lines (or at least 3 different numbers) on my iPhone.

[OOPS! i might be a bit premature. While Toktumi's web site changed today to reflect availability of Line2 on Android based cell phones, it will not allow the signup to proceed. Probably just putting the finishing touch on their web site.]