Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#69286 by kieranmullen
Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 am
Is all support offshore?

I can't get anyone to think outside the box (or script)

Inlaws account has my name on their caller id but their name on the account. The previous provider had my name on the account so I suppose that is where that came from.

Anyhow I just told CS just to put their account name in instead of mine but they wanted me to pass my inlaws security questions.

This is the equivalent of calling the garbage company and having the garbage company ask you for a security password when all you want to tell them is that you saw the garbage company knock over the neighbors garbage can and not pick it up.

Security should not be needed to correct obvious provider service issues which do not require account knowledge. or changing of the account.
#69302 by southsound
Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:11 pm
kieranmullen wrote:This is not a helpful response.

lbmofo wrote:Might want to find out what the security answer is so you can take care of it for them.

Maybe his bride's mum and pop have trust issues.
#69304 by kieranmullen
Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:16 pm
What is with you? They are elderly and can't talk on the phone very well.

Are you going to make fun of my dead mother next?

southsound wrote:

lbmofo wrote:Might want to find out what the security answer is so you can take care of it for them.

Maybe his bride's mum and pop have trust issues.
#69306 by southsound
Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:24 pm
Forgive me if my post was taken with offense. No ill thoughts were intended. I just know that many times older folks (like myself) are not willing to give out security information. Much to their credit because it probably keeps them safe. Ooma should be able to find a way to do it and still keep them (and you) comfortable. Maybe sending ooma an email to support from their account would serve to verify who they are and what they wanted done. If that is not possible, sending a PM to ntoy would do the job as well.
#69308 by kieranmullen
Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 pm
Thank you, that was more helpful. I will try the PM.

The pictures & account you posted previously were not me. If they were that would also be really lousy thing to do as well.

southsound wrote:Forgive me if my post was taken offensive. No ill thoughts were intended. I just know that many times older folks (like myself) are not willing to give out security information. Much to their credit because it probably keeps them safe. Ooma should be able to find a way to do it and still keep them (and you) comfortable. Maybe sending ooma an email to support from their account would serve to verify who they are and what they wanted done. If that is not possible, sending a PM to ntoy would do the job as well.
#69310 by lbmofo
Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Didn't know getting that answer was an issue. I was trying to point out that it could be the path of least resistance. With any account these days, customer support generally won't talk to you unless you are the impacted customer.
#69311 by kieranmullen
Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:01 pm
For reasons already cited above it should not be required.

lbmofo wrote:

Didn't know getting that answer was an issue. I was trying to point out that it could be the path of least resistance. With any account these days, customer support generally won't talk to you unless you are the impacted customer.
#69327 by Jerry_NA
Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:46 pm
kieranmullen wrote:For reasons already cited above it should not be required.

While it may seem obvious to you, the first tier support people probably have a strict set of rules to follow so they do not have to judge each case individually. With a strict but uniformly applied policy, they and their company will not have to deal with irate customers demanding why well-meaning children, roommates, boyfriends, etc. were allowed to change some detail in an account without explicit permission. I recommend not taking this policy personally.

I have found that a company will often let me take care of a problem for my mother if they initiate a very short conference call with me, my mother, and customer support. My mother verifies that I am authorized to help her, she gets off the line, and I am allowed to fix the problem. I hope that this passes your stringent test of what constitutes a "helpful response".

Please note that being rude or curt to unpaid volunteers who are offering you suggestions to your posted problem will likely diminish future responses, helpful or not. In the Ooma forums, you get what you (don't) pay for... Other customers are "working" for not much more than an occasional word of thanks and a sense of accomplishment. We _owe_ you no answers at all, period, no matter what your personal problem may be, who you are, or what work you do. I recommend that you take that into consideration when you formulate a reply even to the least helpful correspondent.