Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#66288 by Chazworth
Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:32 am
I have read lots of posts on this topic, but I can't seem to find an exact answer. Here is my situation:

-I just signed up for Ooma, and am doing some experimenting
-I have a Google Voice account (GV)
-I plan on porting my home phone number to Ooma (once I am confident everything will work)
-I also have a mobile phone
-I would like to use GV for my voice mail system
-Rather than having callers call my GV number, I would like to have callers use my home # exclusively (and not my cell #). In other words, I would like my home phone number to be my "only" number that callers use to reach me.

My thought was that I could use the Multi-ring feature in Ooma so that calls to my home phone number would ring both on my home phone (via the Ooma Telo), as well as my mobile phone. That should allow me to use my home phone number as my "only" phone number given to callers to reach me.

For the voicemail part, I am not sure how to get this to work. One thought was that I could set up my GV number as a second multi-ring number in Ooma, and then set the pick-up settings in Ooma to be really long. In this way, GV would pick up any unanswered calls. I think that this would work (?). But, Ooma only seems to allow for one multi-ring forwarded number. Drats!

Any suggestions to accomplish my goals? By the way, if GV allowed porting (with full GV features), I likely would port my home number to GV and use the "Google Voice Extensions" feature in Ooma. That would be ideal.
#66390 by Chazworth
Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:42 am
A quick thought -- one way around the apparent limitation in Ooma to only be able to Multi-ring to one additional number would be to have that Multi-ring number be my GV number, which could then ring the mobile number. I supposed that will work. I am concerned about routing calls through multiple services (i.e. Calls to Ooma are forwarded to GV, which is then forwarded to the mobile number). I am going to test to see how call quality fares.

Any experiences with a setup like this or other ways to accomplish my goals?
#66848 by bw1
Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:51 am
Neither of your ideas will work. You'll need to have callers call your GV number.
#66851 by Chazworth
Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:51 am
Another idea for making allowing me to use GV as my VM service would be to have Ooma forward "no answer" calls to GV, which could then be set up to automatically send the incoming call to VM.

Unfortunately, I do not see a "forward on no answer" option in Ooma. Does it exist?
#66920 by bw1
Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:15 am
Chazworth wrote:Another idea for making allowing me to use GV as my VM service would be to have Ooma forward "no answer" calls to GV, which could then be set up to automatically send the incoming call to VM.

Unfortunately, I do not see a "forward on no answer" option in Ooma. Does it exist?

No, the only forwarding options are:

* Call Forward on Internet Outage: Forward calls only when your Ooma system is offline due to a local Internet outage.
* Call Forward All: Forward all calls. Your home phones will not ring.
* Multi-Ring: Incoming calls will ring your home phone AND be forwarded to the number configured. Answer the call on either phone.
#66928 by Chazworth
Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:31 am
Would GVE benefit my usage scenario (using an Ooma number as my main number, but using GV for voice messages)? It seems to me that GVE is intended for when a GV number is used as the "main number", and the Ooma number is then used as a ring-to number from GV.

I will experiment. As mentioned, my preference would be to port my home phone number to GV, but that is not currently an option in GV. Maybe soon.