Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#61890 by DavidyLulu
Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31 am
1. What kind of ooma device do you have? Telo (black)
2. What kind of Internet connection do you have? DSL What speeds? 384 Downstream, 128 upstream
3. What is connected (if anything) to your ooma WALL port? DSL Modem > Router> Ooma >
4. What is connected to the MODEM and HOME NETWORK ports (these are network connections)?
5. What is connected to the ooma PHONE port? old 5.8 Ghz cordless phone
6. Has your ooma ever worked properly - is this behavior new? New behavior, has worked ok for a week.

While using the phone yesterday, the call dropped, and there was complete silence on the phone. When I checked the Ooma Telo device, the line 1 was yellow, even though I turned the phone off. I had to reboot the Ooma Telo to bring the service back. Same thing happened again several minutes later. I had to do the same thing to get the line back.
#62035 by lbmofo
Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:12 am
One would experience this situation if the internet connection is really bad.

People recommend that you don't get any kind of DSL or Cable Internet "Lite" where the ISP caps your speed on purpose.

For starters, could you do the following test and after test is run, go to the "advanced" tab and get the text of the result?

VoIP Quality Test:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.
#62225 by DavidyLulu
Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:52 pm
Well, I ran the tests this weekend, and got all green. I repeated many times. My upstream was about 390. I checked, that's the best available for DSL in my area.

So maybe my initial reaction was panic. Well, not me, I'm the tech guy, but my wife was concerned. But last night I made a call and got dead silence, after which the line was still showing in use on the Telo, meaning it was red. I had to reboot the Telo to be able to use it. So my question is, how can I work with this? Will I randomly have to reboot the Telo? Is there a defect in the Telo? Or how can I regain my line if it stays 'stuck'?