Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#55541 by AZGuyJoe
Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 am
I've been having problems with my Internet connection being dropped.
It happens about every 30-40 minutes and is down for 5-10 minutes. It then reconnects and everything is fine for awhile.
I have Cox Cable going into a modem, from the modem I go into a hub, from the hub I go into a router. The system was installed in January and, for the most part, has worked OK. The modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5101N that was installed 2 months ago.
Cox can't figure out what the problem is and asked me to disconnect the hub. I did and the Internet connection has been up and running for the past two hours.
Coincidence? Or is the ooma hub somehow messing with my connection? If so, suggestions on how to make everything and everyone happy?

#55543 by coldsteel
Fri May 14, 2010 10:07 am
Um AZGuyJoe, you might want to try searching around the forums here for similar problems and solutions. You may also want to move the OOMA hub behind your router instead of in front of it. This would at least keep the rest of your internet using network happy. You might want to look at a post that I created awhile ago on internet stability issues with OOMA hub and DNS - its here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6962
#55565 by murphy
Fri May 14, 2010 1:25 pm
Connect to the setup page in the Ooma box, go to the network page, click on use built in MAC address, click on update.
Turn off your cable modem and Ooma.
Turn on the cable modem and wait for sync with your ISP.
Turn on Ooma.
#55654 by AZGuyJoe
Sat May 15, 2010 4:33 pm
coldsteel - thanks but I wasn't having a problem with ooma staying connected to the Internet; the problem is the modem keeps disconnecting.

I had Cox out here twice today. He changed the splitter outside and added something to the end of the cable at the modem that supposedly deals with the upstream power level which he said was too high. He left and everything was working (the upstream power level was 42dBmv). A few hours later I got bounced again. It came back after a few minutes and I checked the power level again and it rose to 51.2. Called Cox and they sent the same guy out.

Turns out Cox disconnected my phone service when I transferred the numbers to ooma BUT they didn't do anything else. Apparently there's a plug in the box that sits in my neighbor's yard that sends power to the phone connection and they think that is what was messing me up. He unplugged it and all seems to be working *fingers crossed*

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests