Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#50966 by SullyVB8
Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:34 pm
Hello Forum!

I have the Hub and Scout with the Hub working great with our primary number.

We got a second phone number / line for my wife to use for a side business. I thought that the Scout was the box that was going to be the VM for the second phone number... but right now, it's acting like a second VM box for the Hub. Meaning... the same new or saved voice mails can be played on the Hub or Scout for our primary number. There is no where to retrieve the second line/phone number's voicemail through the scout. - Soooo... Do I need another HUB to set up the second line?

Config is this... calble modem to the Hub to the router with the phone line to the wall phone jack... Scout is in another room, connected to the phone jack on the wall.

If I CANNOT use the Scout for the second number / line... is there a way just to change the VM greeting with the second line/number???

I sure hope we can use the Scout as a second VM machine for our second line/number!!! Hope this makes sense. Please help or ask for clarification.

Thanks!
#50969 by Groundhound
Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:05 pm
In my.ooma, preferences, phone numbers - set the Scout as a personal device and assign the second number to it. You will create a separate login password for the second number to manage VM and other features.
#50983 by SullyVB8
Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:54 pm
Thanks for the post.

In our MAIN number/My Ooma, it is set up that way. With the Hub set up as shared and the scout as a personal device. I tried to call my 2nd number from our primary phone and when I check my 2nd number VM online in My Ooma... it says I called from my 2nd line, not our primary. UGH! :x -- But if I call our primary phone number from a cell phone, our primary phone rings as usual. When we call my cell phone from our primary phone, I get a caller ID from our primary phone. So... completely weird that my VM on my second line thinks it's getting a call from my second line. :?

I'm hoping for a simple fix. :)

So... the problem is really this. I call our second number and it goes straight to VM. I can't change the computer VM message, nor can I hear it ring on my phone attached to the scout. Any more ideas??
#50990 by Groundhound
Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:17 pm
SullyVB8 wrote:So... the problem is really this. I call our second number and it goes straight to VM. I can't change the computer VM message, nor can I hear it ring on my phone attached to the scout. Any more ideas??

Is the envelope button on the Scout lit? If so the second line has do-not-disturb enabled, which sends all calls to VM. Hold down the envelope button until the light goes out to disable DND. To set up the VM on the second line pick up the handset on the phone attached to the Scout and press the play button on the Scout - follow the prompts.

Note: If no lights are showing on the Scout, make sure the dimmer dial on the right side is not turned down too far.