2 hubs

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
akajustm
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 pm

2 hubs

Post by akajustm » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm not sure this is the right category to post in, I'm hoping it is.
Can someone tell me if you can use 2 Ooma hubs with 1 internet connection? Or an Ooma and a Telo? The scout is pretty worthless as far as sound quality and we need 2 lines so we are trying to find a solution.

amoney
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: 2 hubs

Post by amoney » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Yes it is possible.

When you say Ooma and a Telo, I assume you ment HUB and Telo.

You can even do Telo and Telo, either way you can then use a 2 line phone system that will really kick butt.

Its a big investment, but if you think about it, minus premier for the 2nd line, your actually saving long term, cavet no name on caller ID. But, worth thinking about it. Its a way I plan to go if I feel Ooma shows better improvement.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: 2 hubs

Post by southsound » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Good news! Many of us have more than one ooma connected and are having great performance. I have a hub (with a scout still in the box) and a Telo. My hub is after my combined DSL modem/router. Next is an FS116 Netgear switch followed by the Telo, 3 PC's, two RepayTV's and my network printer. Others have multiple hubs. If you have a router that can give you good QOS (possibly running Tomato) then you can put both ooma's after the router. Let us know what your plan is and I'll bet we can find someone who has a similar configuration to give you the confidence to go ahead with your plan.

I also noticed your rather low post count - so without checking, let me welcome you to the forum and to ooma. (If you have already been welcomed, just consider this a nice gesture. No need to return the previous one). :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

akajustm
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: 2 hubs

Post by akajustm » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks guys and thanks for the welcome. We had tried out the hub before and returned it because of the scout static issue. Now with the great deals out there we are going for it again. The first hub is great and working wonderfully we just need to get the second line moved over now. I think I'm aiming for 2 hubs since we don't need the premier functions and if we save on premier the hardware pays for itself. Is there any distinct advantage to the Telo? I sort of like having a non-cordless phone so I don't know how I feel about the Telo.
As for as QOS, I have my current hub behind my router and it seems to work fine, is there a way to know if a second would work as well?

amoney
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: 2 hubs

Post by amoney » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:27 pm

roadchild wrote:Thanks guys and thanks for the welcome. We had tried out the hub before and returned it because of the scout static issue. Now with the great deals out there we are going for it again. The first hub is great and working wonderfully we just need to get the second line moved over now. I think I'm aiming for 2 hubs since we don't need the premier functions and if we save on premier the hardware pays for itself. Is there any distinct advantage to the Telo? I sort of like having a non-cordless phone so I don't know how I feel about the Telo.
As for as QOS, I have my current hub behind my router and it seems to work fine, is there a way to know if a second would work as well?
If you get the telo you do not need to get the handset.

Note I assume you got the CORE system (Hub and Scout). Check to see if you only buy an additional Hub, you may not get the same account features "free" as with the Core system, so you would have to get another Core system... Amazon has great prices last I checked.

I assume if you dont have issues behind your router, you should be fine.

There are lots of touted features "upcoming" with the Telo, but I would have to say not really, and by what you say, it seems like your covered already with what you want... a working system!
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

akajustm
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: 2 hubs

Post by akajustm » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:56 pm

amoney wrote: If you get the telo you do not need to get the handset.

Note I assume you got the CORE system (Hub and Scout). Check to see if you only buy an additional Hub, you may not get the same account features "free" as with the Core system, so you would have to get another Core system... Amazon has great prices last I checked.

I assume if you dont have issues behind your router, you should be fine.

There are lots of touted features "upcoming" with the Telo, but I would have to say not really, and by what you say, it seems like your covered already with what you want... a working system!
Yup we have the Core system and were looking to get a second Core system. With bing cashback we got the first one for $165 so we will watch for another deal like that. :)
Anybody need scouts? Though I suspect there are many people with scouts sitting in a closet somewhere.
Buying a new Wireless N router and Surfboard modem (going to get away from comcast fees as much as possible) to possibly help with our connection, our QOS score is only like 46.
I didn't realize the Telo came sans handset, I thought it was a cordless unit until you said otherwise and then I googled it. So thanks for that info. So I guess it's like an updated Ooma Core hub with a small yearly fee if I understand correctly.
I am thrilled to know so many of you have more than 1 unit working together, I don't know why I didn't think about this as a way around the issue the first time around.

Bill D
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:06 am
Location: 2 Telos in FL & 1 in CA

Re: 2 hubs

Post by Bill D » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 pm

roadchild wrote:....I suspect there are many people with scouts sitting in a closet somewhere.
Welcome to the anti-Scout club.

I have two grandfathered Hubs in one house and another grandfathered Hub at my other house all without Premier and working great. The only good use I found for Scouts is to put one on my wife's desk and one on my desk for the indicator lights and checking VM.

This lets the Hubs be located in the central wiring closet with the UPS and Internet modem, router and the two-line wireless phone base unit. The UPS then provides whole-house wireless phones and wifi to laptops during power failures because the phone handsets and laptops are battery-powered.

Therefore, my Hubs "sit in a closet somewhere" and not my Scouts. :)

Bill

akajustm
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: 2 hubs

Post by akajustm » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:19 am

Welcome to the anti-Scout club.
Thanks for the welcome Bill and thanks for the idea that the Scout actually can have a use. I hadn't thought about using it for the VM indicator light. I will probably provide a chuckle or two when I say I am still using my old answering machine because I didn't know how I would know I had a message since the hub is hidden away. Well now I have a way to know!!
I have the second hub on order and will hopefully be dumping my 2 lines with comcast in the very near future, thanks Ooma!!

Bill D
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:06 am
Location: 2 Telos in FL & 1 in CA

Re: 2 hubs

Post by Bill D » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am

roadchild wrote:...I have the second hub on order and will hopefully be dumping my 2 lines with comcast in the very near future, thanks Ooma!!
"Thanks Ooma" says it all. Even though the Scout's a dud, Ooma's a winner. I've been phone bill free for a while and the service on all 3 of my Ooma Hub lines is terrific. I should also add that this forum is terrific.

You having another Hub on order reminded me of a question I have - I recall reading that Basic Ooma service purchased after Jan 1, 2010 only provides Number Only Caller-ID and that Name+Number Caller-ID requires Premier. My current Hubs have grandfathered TOS as I suspect your current Hub does judging from your join date.

I've done some searching and could not find a definitive answer to this question because I've considered another Hub (or maybe a Telo without the handset) as a second line in my other house. I also have wondered if the answer to this question is different if I buy a Hub or Telo.

Do you (or anyone without Premeir that signed up after Jan 1) know the answer?

Bill

sfhub
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:22 am

Re: 2 hubs

Post by sfhub » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Bill D wrote:You having another Hub on order reminded me of a question I have - I recall reading that Basic Ooma service purchased after Jan 1, 2010 only provides Number Only Caller-ID and that Name+Number Caller-ID requires Premier. My current Hubs have grandfathered TOS as I suspect your current Hub does judging from your join date.

I've done some searching and could not find a definitive answer to this question because I've considered another Hub (or maybe a Telo without the handset) as a second line in my other house. I also have wondered if the answer to this question is different if I buy a Hub or Telo.
It isn't based on when you purchase or sign up. It is based on which product you purchase. The Ooma Core (hub+scout bundle) product had terms and conditions it was marketed with both on the box and the advertising which included voicemail and name+number caller id. Ooma changed their terms after the Ooma Core product was released, but since the Core product was already out with the old terms, Ooma decided to do the right thing and honor those terms for any original purchaser of the Ooma Core product. Ooma Hub standalone and Ooma Telo came out after the terms changed and thus the packaging and advertising specified the new terms including the $11.75 tax recovery and number-only caller-id (for the Basic service) so those products will have the new terms. The 12/31/2009 cutoff was for the Ooma Premier $99 (vs $119 afterwards) and Ooma Premier lifetime buyout (which is no longer offered)

Some of this is specified here:
https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/10/02/ho ... customers/

Post Reply