Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#41682 by AZGuyJoe
Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:16 pm
Does anyone know if ooma supports Frequency Shift Keying (FSK)? I need that for my message notification indicator to light up.
#41788 by EDog
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:57 pm
Here is a guess from left field...

Based on my 5 minute Wiki-pedia lesson on FSK, it seems FSK is the standard method used to communicate caller id info to telephones. I don't know how a phone tells if there is a message waiting, but there must be some type of standard because Ooma is able to tell my AT&T cordless phone system when a message is waiting.

I think your question could be re-phrased to something like "does Ooma support caller ID and voice mail notification with xyz telephones?", where xyz is the phone manufacturer.

What kind of phone do you have?
#41832 by hpepper
Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:47 am
Yes - Ooma supports FSK for voicemail indication. I have Panasonic and Uniden Dect 6 wireless phones which uses FSK for VM alerts and I get those alerts on my phones. (I have both a Telo and Classic Hub - works with both.)
#41845 by AZGuyJoe
Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:43 am
hmmm...my Uniden manual specifically says that the voice message light works with FSK yet it doesn't work with ooma (but does with Cox).
thanks.
#41906 by Bill D
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:42 pm
I don't know about the Telo, but I found that my two Ooma Hubs reliably send the FSK VMWI (voice mail message waiting indicator) signals to my Uniden 2-line TRU8866 phone system so that the indicator lights on the Uniden handsets show when an unread VM is present.

However, I found that my Ooma Scouts occasionally shortened the VMWI signal failing to reliably turn on or off the VMWI lights on phones connected to Scouts. Both the VMWI "on" and "off" FSK signals should be 460 ms long, but occasionally (only from the Scout) I saw these signals were shortened to 445 ms, which corresponded to my phone's VMWI lights not turning on or turn off as required.

I don't use the my Scouts because of the poor outbound voice quality, so it doesn't matter to me if the VMWI works reliably.

Bill