Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#15881 by MikeekiM
Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:54 pm
I was reading that if you decide to integrate your landline with ooma, that it was required that you have an unmeasured local calling plan...

Why is that? Is it a REQUIREMENT? Or a recommendation? What if you don't make many local calls? Wouldn't a measured service work just as fine?

This is not relevant to anything I am doing for myself...Just a curiosity...
#15885 by murphy
Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:53 am
If you have an integrated land line, all local calls are made through the land line. If it's a pay per call type of service, you will be paying for all local calls. In that situation it would be best to not integrate the land line so the local calls would go over ooma where they are free.
#15992 by MikeekiM
Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:28 pm
Yea... I get that... But what if you know your calling patterns, and know that you don't do more than the 300 or so minutes of local measured calling that are included with such plans...and the rest of your calling is out of the calling area, or toll-free numbers?

I don't get why ooma provision requires unmeasured...

Again...I am not in this situation at all...But I read this in the instructions somewhere (at least I am pretty sure I read it somewhere), and it was just a point of curiosity for me... :)
#15993 by WayneDsr
Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:39 pm
I think they probably stated that more as a warning. I'd hate to think someone would get metered landline and think they were getting all their calls for free and in the end blame ooma.
#15998 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:41 am
It wouldn't make sense at all to integrate a landline if you are using Ooma. Why pay for a local call if you don't have to? Maybe there's a reason, but I cannot figure it out at the moment. I suspect that's why they recommend it. To keep people that don't understand from setting up Ooma thinking they'd be getting free calling and end up with a local tab to pay.

Even if you have a metered local landline, you can still plug it into Ooma and not integrate it so all calls go out over Ooma. If Ooma service ever drops out the Hub and Scout will automatically switch the Phone port over to the landline so you don't have to do anything to make a call.

Cheers,
Scott
#16008 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:03 am
Hi Scott...

I agree with you...

I was trying to figure out exactly what you are saying as well... It seems like you are completely on a losing side if you integrate your landline... Your primary number is your landline, and because of that you need to get an unmeasured line, as well as CFB if you want to take advantage of the premier service's "Instant Second Line". So here, that would be about $20 for the unmeasured line after surcharges, and then another $4 for CFB and $10 for CID, plus the $8.25 for the Ooma premier ($99 divide by 12)... So that's $42.25 a month and you get basically two lines and free long distance...

With out officially integrating your landline, you can stay on an unmeasured rate ($14 here after surcharges) with no CFB or CID, and the $8.25 for Ooma premier for a total of $22.25. And that gives you emergency access to your landline, and two Ooma lines.

The math says you pay more for 2 lines than you do for 3 lines...

I don't get it either Scott... And even though I don't have my landline officially integrated, I have it plugged into my hub...and when the lan or power goes out, my landline dialtone is passed to my handset... The only other feature that I am afraid of even testing is the 911 feature... Does Ooma still pass my 911 calls via landline, even if Ooma is up and running... Not sure about that one...
#16009 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 am
911 calls go out via ooma and use your personal data in the Lounge for your residence location.

Call your local police and tell them you want to make a test call to insure your voip phone system is working for 911. They will usually tell you to call right back on 911 (unless they are busy). In smaller towns you may even get the same operator.

Wayne
#16013 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:45 am
WayneDsr wrote:911 calls go out via ooma and use your personal data in the Lounge for your residence location.

Call your local police and tell them you want to make a test call to insure your voip phone system is working for 911. They will usually tell you to call right back on 911 (unless they are busy). In smaller towns you may even get the same operator.

Wayne

I live in San Francisco, and for some reason, I am not sure they will allow me to do this... If I call one of the many police departments, or even the police headquarters, I doubt they have the capability to connect with the 911 department and tell them to expect a test call from 'lil ole me... :)
#16025 by niknak
Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:21 am
...I live in San Francisco, and for some reason, I am not sure they will allow me to do this... If I call one of the many police departments, or even the police headquarters, I doubt they have the capability to connect with the 911 department and tell them to expect a test call from 'lil ole me... :)

I live in NY City, I called 911, immediately told them it was not an emergency and I was calling to verify the location information for a VOIP phone system, they did, it's done
#16029 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:15 am
niknak wrote:
...I live in San Francisco, and for some reason, I am not sure they will allow me to do this... If I call one of the many police departments, or even the police headquarters, I doubt they have the capability to connect with the 911 department and tell them to expect a test call from 'lil ole me... :)

I live in NY City, I called 911, immediately told them it was not an emergency and I was calling to verify the location information for a VOIP phone system, they did, it's done

Nice! :)