Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#12424 by jonkeee
Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:24 pm
I've talked to a couple people from Ooma's phone tech support who were friendly and helpful, but unfortunately couldn't resolve the problem described below and I'm waiting to hear back from a higher level engineer. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas, in case it takes a while for the engineer to get back to me.

I'm in the process of having my number ported to Ooma, so I have the Hub hooked up to the landline and to a cable modem. My understanding is that for long distance Ooma is supposed to kick in and for local calls AT&T is supposed to kick in.

The long distance is working fine. The problem is when I try to make local calls or call 1-800 numbers. Then, when I dial the number there is about 15 seconds of silence (no ringing) and then a slow busy (i.e. normal) signal. This happens with every local and 1-800 number I've tried.

I've tried unplugging and restarting the Ooma hub several times. I plugged the phone line direct from the phone into the phone jack and it worked normally then, so the phone line is okay. My connection is set so that the cable modem connects to the Hub before my router. I've tried dialing the numbers with and without the area code. All the basic territory seems to be fine.

Anyways, just curious. Thanks in advance everyone for your input.
#12435 by southsound
Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:49 pm
It sounds like your ATT line is now dead - possibly just giving talk battery - because of the pending port. Your ooma hub is still trying to send local and 800 calls to the line that is no longer in service. That is why you are getting the fast busy. As soon as ooma does the change in your hub from "integrated landline" to "ooma without landline" you should be OK.

Hopefully by now things are working normally for you. If not, call them first thing in the morning to get things sorted out.

And welcome to ooma!
#12436 by jonkeee
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:26 pm
I appreciate your reply Southsound!

Just checked again and unfortunately, still no luck with Ooma and locals + 1-800's. I just plugged the wall jack back into my phone charger instead of the Hub. I guess I'm just going to use AT&T until the # gets ported over successfully, unless a solution presents itself beforehand.

Not really a huge deal as long as everything works after the port, but I was hoping to get everything working just to prove my wife's skepticism of VoiP wrong! I got a Skype phone previously and it was always flaky, so she was none too enthusiastic about this most recent attempt to get the AT&T monkey off of our back. I really hate that company!

They won't budge a cent when it's fair and due to you, but once you call to cancel service they just throw money at you. What a ridiculous way to run a business.
#13524 by christyb
Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:47 am
What was the resolution to this situation?

I have the exact same problem but I am not porting my number in.

In addition, incoming calls are going straight to voicemail (AT&T which is where I want it to go). The phone doesn't ring, doesn't show a missed call and the Ooma Call Log doesn't show the incoming call.

Help!
#13532 by jonkeee
Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:51 am
I think there may be some similarity to our respective problems, despite the fact that incoming calls worked fine for me. Nevertheless, maybe your problem is different, perhaps an installation issue, and your best bet would be to see if tech support can get it working for you.

If our problems are related, I'm afraid that I can't offer you much optimism. I've dealt with tech support over the phone several times, and they've had their engineers look into the problem. They haven't found a fix for me, except to go all-Ooma on the phones you want Ooma and to plug a different phone into your AT&T landline to use AT&T. They could not find a way to get Ooma and my AT&T landline to play nice together. As to what the compatibility issue actually was and is, they couldn't say.

It's not been a huge issue for me since I'm just waiting for my number to port to cancel AT&T, and everything works fine when it's all-Ooma. Right now I don't even have my Ooma hooked up, as my AT&T plan is unlimited long distance anyways.

My suggestion if they can't resolve your issue is to just go all-Ooma and get your number ported if you want to keep it. The E911 service through Ooma works just as well so long as your address is correct in your Ooma account. If you're worried about reliability, it's worth noting that after Katrina, the POTS lines in New Orleans weren't working, and the only people getting calls out were people using VOIP (and generators of course). Plus, if you've got a cell phone, then that's a good back up if the Ooma were to go down.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!
#13538 by christyb
Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:16 am
Thanks for the update, I appreciate you taking the time to let me know.

Doesn't sound hopeful.

I don't want to go all Ooma because the cable box for our location is on a main street and is often a victim of car accidents rendering the cable connection useless.

Unfortunately I haven't found a cell phone network yet that works reliably in or around my house.

It sounds like I will be at Ooma's mercy...
#13542 by bw1
Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:38 am
There's another option. Keep ooma and your landline separate. That's what soutsound and WayneDSR do. I'm sure they can give information on their setup/experiences.

But if you port your number to ooma and then get another cheapest landline option from AT&T as an emergency backup, you could probably save quite a bit. Heck, I'm guessing the voicemail from AT&T is almost $10 per month.
#13549 by christyb
Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:13 am
bw1 wrote:There's another option. Keep ooma and your landline separate. That's what soutsound and WayneDSR do. I'm sure they can give information on their setup/experiences.

But if you port your number to ooma and then get another cheapest landline option from AT&T as an emergency backup, you could probably save quite a bit. Heck, I'm guessing the voicemail from AT&T is almost $10 per month.

Sometimes the answer is staring us in the face but we can't see the forest for the trees!

However, I hesitate to do this because of Jonkee's experience.
#13553 by bw1
Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:26 am
christyb wrote:
Sometimes the answer is staring us in the face but we can't see the forest for the trees!

However, I hesitate to do this because of Jonkee's experience.

But that was his resolution:
jonkeee wrote:I think there may be some similarity to our respective problems, despite the fact that incoming calls worked fine for me. Nevertheless, maybe your problem is different, perhaps an installation issue, and your best bet would be to see if tech support can get it working for you.

If our problems are related, I'm afraid that I can't offer you much optimism. I've dealt with tech support over the phone several times, and they've had their engineers look into the problem. They haven't found a fix for me, except to go all-Ooma on the phones you want Ooma and to plug a different phone into your AT&T landline to use AT&T. They could not find a way to get Ooma and my AT&T landline to play nice together. As to what the compatibility issue actually was and is, they couldn't say.

It's not been a huge issue for me since I'm just waiting for my number to port to cancel AT&T, and everything works fine when it's all-Ooma. Right now I don't even have my Ooma hooked up, as my AT&T plan is unlimited long distance anyways.

My suggestion if they can't resolve your issue is to just go all-Ooma and get your number ported if you want to keep it. The E911 service through Ooma works just as well so long as your address is correct in your Ooma account. If you're worried about reliability, it's worth noting that after Katrina, the POTS lines in New Orleans weren't working, and the only people getting calls out were people using VOIP (and generators of course). Plus, if you've got a cell phone, then that's a good back up if the Ooma were to go down.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

And you don't have to port your number, disconnect AT&T or change how you're using your landline.

Just setup the ooma hub and connect a phone (or a set of cordless phones) and use that until you decide how you want your final setup. You could also have AT&T forward your number to your ooma number while you are "trying it out".

I did this for about a month before I decided that I wanted ooma to totally replace my existing phone service.