Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#101187 by amigabill
Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:35 am
I think I've got my new Telo running now, but I'm confused a bit about the Google Voice extension. I'd like to use my Google Voice number to receive and make calls, which I think is working.

Now, I'm confused about voicemail. If I call my Google Voice number associated with my Ooma (Yes, I've made the second phantom Ooma number to link with Google), I get two or three rings, then a quiet period of a few seconds, then a beep such as a Voicemail system "start your message to the recipient now" beep. Such as if there is a few seconds silent greeting there.

I've recorded a greeting in Ooma voicemail, and if I call my Ooma number directly, I cna hear that message before leaving a voicemail to myself.

I've also recorded a greeting in Google Voice for that voicemail. I can go to the Voice web page settings, click the play greeting button, and hear what I recorded there as well.

If I call my Google Voice number associated with my Ooma setup, which voicemail system should I expect to end up in? The Google Voice one, or the Ooma one? Or the answering machine on the phone connected to my Ooma? (Though the in-phone answering machine should be disabled, unless I did that wrong)

I'd like to get this last bit figured out and working so I can start telling people to use my Google Voice number to get me at home or on my cell phone when I'm out, with the same number. And also at work, where cell reception is very poor, I'd like to run with the Ooma android app over the good wifi there. But I feel I should hold off telling everyone until the voicemail part works too.
#101188 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:58 am
Google Voice VM should kick in.
If you call your Ooma virtual number directly, you will eventually end up with a busy and no VM.
You need to add your Ooma virtual number to your GV account and forward your GV calls to the Ooma virtual number.