Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#98109 by gtrick
Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:05 pm
Hi there,

I am another new Ooma member (seems like a lot of us here lately, a great trend!) and very satisfied with our service over our first few weeks. I do have a question, that I searched the forum for and did not find my particular situation before making this thread, so if it's been covered, my apologies.

My situation is as follows - I have a regular home, and I also have kind of a "mother-in-law suite" - a converted garage that is separate from my main house, that I am renting. For him, I purchased the Ooma Telo handset, and have the Premier service, and the Ooma assigned number for when I first purchased the system, has been handed over to this Telo device, while my "regular" phone number was ported over to the house's main line. Everything has been working great. The only hiccup we've had so far, is I've noticed that I am unable to call him directly on the Ooma Telo handset, which is a different number, from my house number. I figure it may be because both numbers are technically fed off of the same Ooma Telo device, but I was hoping, since it has its own number, I'd be able to call him directly on the Telo, and vice versa, like if I needed to tell him he had mail, or he was invited to dinner, or there was a fire, or whatever. Hah.

Not the end of the world if this can't be accomplished, but just want to keep all options available if possible. Is this doable?

Thanks so much!
#98110 by lbmofo
Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:53 pm
You are correct. Not supported because they are connected to the same main device. But there is a work around if 2 numbers are the same area code. Dial 7 digits followed by #.
#98111 by gtrick
Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:24 pm
Thanks for the response, lb. Both numbers are in the same area code - is that workaround applicable to only the Telo handset, or would I be able to use that with my non-Telo cordless system that I have in the house as well? I would just try it for myself to see, but I'm not home right now :)
#98121 by gtrick
Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:46 pm
I tried that method earlier, but no dice - it did go directly to voicemail, but he was none the wiser that I was calling, didn't ring on his end or anything. Oh well, worth a shot. I am open for other suggestions if there are any, if not, thanks for the help!
#98122 by lbmofo
Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 pm
I guess the 7 digit + # workaround only works for the Hub device.

You can consider getting a free Google Voice number and have the Google Voice number forward to the Ooma number. Then, you can call the Google Voice number to reach him. In order to add a number to forward in the Google Voice account, the phone needs to be verified (Google will call and the phone needs to be answered inputting 2 digit code displayed on the the screen). Here is how to sign up: /viewtopic.php?t=13383#p93077