Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#97832 by M_M
Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:32 am
Hello, I have had my Ooma hooked up for a couple of months and have a strange issue where certain inbound calls only generate loud static when I pick up the phone. It only seems to happen from certain area codes (I am 773, and I have noticed it from 617). What happens is that the phone rings, caller ID comes through correctly, then I pick up the phone, and there is nothing but very loud static. I then hang up and the ooma is unusable for about 30 seconds. Callers tell me that the phone just keeps ringing on their end, despite my efforts to pick up. I have called Ooma customer service twice, they check my connection speed (which is 5-10 mbps download, 2-5 mbps upload) fiddle with my inbound/outbound settings and then tell me it is fixed. It is not fixed!

Has anyone experienced this problem, or have an idea how to troubleshoot? I was also wondering if there is a way to get 'level 2' support, seems like the people on customer service that I call only know of one way to address this problem - and it aint working... Thanks!
#97833 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:58 am
M_M wrote:Hello, I have had my Ooma hooked up for a couple of months and have a strange issue where certain inbound calls only generate loud static when I pick up the phone. It only seems to happen from certain area codes (I am 773, and I have noticed it from 617). What happens is that the phone rings, caller ID comes through correctly, then I pick up the phone, and there is nothing but very loud static. I then hang up and the ooma is unusable for about 30 seconds. Callers tell me that the phone just keeps ringing on their end, despite my efforts to pick up. I have called Ooma customer service twice, they check my connection speed (which is 5-10 mbps download, 2-5 mbps upload) fiddle with my inbound/outbound settings and then tell me it is fixed. It is not fixed!

Has anyone experienced this problem, or have an idea how to troubleshoot? I was also wondering if there is a way to get 'level 2' support, seems like the people on customer service that I call only know of one way to address this problem - and it aint working... Thanks!

You just ask to have your problem exulated to level 2 or 3 support.

Try powering off your Ooma Telo for one hour. Then repower the Ooma Telo. This gives time for the Ooma Servers to rebuild your Ooma Profile.

Make sure that your Ooma Telo is at least three to four feet away from any other Electrical or Electronic device.

Try testing with just a corded phone plugged into the Ooma Telo Phone port.
While doing this test, remove power from the Base unit(s) of any Wireless phone systems in your home. Again remove power from all Wireless phone system bases, even if used with another phone provider, while doing this test.
(Make sure you are using a different phone then the phone that you normally use.)
#97834 by M_M
Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:07 am
Thanks, I will try all this stuff tonight and report back. Do you know a good way to test whether this problem is fixed other than having my sister in law try to call me?