Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#84428 by Zindar
Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:22 am
Hello; I have the original ooma hub/core with zero monthly fee (including no taxes or regulatory fees), and I also don't have the premier service either, so it's truly no monthly fee.

I also am not using my scout, because I have the hub plugged into my house's phone network, which distributes the signal through the house, so I can answer or make calls on any phone in the house.

A long time ago, I solved the problem of no call screening for free by, instead of signing up for premier, I have the panasonic phone system pick up the call in fewer rings than when ooma would pick it up, so my panasonic voice mail winds up taking the message instead of ooma voice mail. In this way, I can pick up during the message and intercept the call, and I can successfully connect to the caller even after he's started leaving his message, so in effect this is free call screening with no premier necessary.

This has all worked nicely, but there's a small problem my wife doesn't like. If we're already on a call and a second caller calls, it goes to ooma voicemail, and we often don't check our ooma voicemail because our voicemail normally goes to the panasonic phone system. My wife would be very happy if we could have the second caller simply get a busy signal, so they know we're on another call. Is there a way to setup our ooma to do that?

I know a work around could be to setup our ooma greeting to say "We're on another call right now, please call back later; If you leave a message, we likely won't get it". But this is not our preferred solution, because what if our internet goes down? (like it is right now, in fact.) The ooma voicemail will pick up then too, and saying "we're on another call" would not be accurate. I really would like to change my ooma greeting to say "our internet is down, and phone system disabled. You may leave a message, and we'll get it when we regain access to the internet, or you could try calling our cell phones" or something like that.
#84431 by 2spirit
Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 am
Try calling Customer Service. I seem to recall that they are able to completely disable your Ooma voicemail . . . but I think that action, once done, is irreversible. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
#84432 by Zindar
Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 am
2spirit wrote:Try calling Customer Service. I seem to recall that they are able to completely disable your Ooma voicemail . . . but I think that action, once done, is irreversible. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hmmm.... if it's irreversible, I'm kind of leery of doing that. Maybe there's an outside chance in the future I'll want the ooma voicemail. But you're right that it can't hurt to ask them what my options are... I just thought I might get a quick answer on this forum. Plus, ideally I could keep the ooma voicemail to use as a "my internet is down" message, but I understand this may not be possible.
#84436 by murphy
Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:11 am
Zindar wrote:I called customer service, and they told me there is no way for me to get a busy signal with ooma. :(

If you can find a recording of a busy signal you could record that as your personalized answering machine message.
#84445 by murphy
Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:10 pm
Zindar wrote:By the way, since my internet is still down, is there any way for me to change my current ooma greeting, short of taking my ooma hardware to somebody else's house that actually has internet?

How are you posting if your internet is down?
#84450 by Zindar
Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:54 pm
murphy wrote:
Zindar wrote:By the way, since my internet is still down, is there any way for me to change my current ooma greeting, short of taking my ooma hardware to somebody else's house that actually has internet?

I'm at my employer's office right now.
#84464 by murphy
Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:18 pm
Zindar wrote:
murphy wrote:

I'm at my employer's office right now.

AH yes, an employer. I retired 10 years ago and tend to forget that option.

To answer your question, call your number from another phone and wait for the voicemail lady to start talking and then press *. She will ask for your pin.