Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#75720 by danlisman
Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:01 am
Karl in NY wrote:I have always had to Ooma behind the router, since the router has QoS settings which I use to give VOIP the highest priority.

If the new modem doesn't fix the problem, I will try putting the Telo between the modem and router.

Yes, with QoS in router that is a good setup. My reason for suggestion: is to make sure router is not the CAUSE of the problem. Temporary hookup of modem > Ooma only > no router ; would be conclusive test.
#75764 by Karl in NY
Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:33 pm
Well, I picked-up a new modem from Time Warner (actually a very used modem) and installed it about an hour ago.
Made a phone call, and within 45 seconds, they could hear me but I couldn't hear then again.

So, I went back to the basement to put Ooma between modem and router...just made a phone call that lasted 15 minutes with no problems, so maybe it is the router causing the problem. I run a WRT54GL with Tomato firmware, with VOIP assigned to the highest class of QoS, so I don't understand what's going on.

I just checked VOIP performance values, and I'm still seeing high server-side jitter, but, the phone seems to be back to normal.

I'm going to leave it configured the way it is for a few days and see what gives.

The suggestions received here are really appreciated...sure beats talking to India.
#75927 by Karl in NY
Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:39 am
The solution has had an unexpected side-effect. I run a HTML server (it's actually a remote viewing program for my network security cameras). I own the domain name and use dynamic DNS since my ISP doesn't give me a static IP address.

With the Telo connected between the modem and router, I now can't access the server (the page times out). Likewise I can't ping from the Internet side.

From within my network, when I enter the domain name, I now get the Ooma setup page rather than my server page.

What am I doing wrong, and what's the fix?
#75928 by murphy
Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 am
Put the router in the Ooma's DMZ.
Disable the DDNS setting in your router and run the client software that DynDNS provides on your server.
I have yet to see a router that implements the DynDNS protocol correctly.
They use the IP address assigned to the router's WAN port instead of asking the DynDNS server, provided for the purpose, what the external IP address is.
#75932 by Karl in NY
Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:20 am
Actually, I have never used the router to implement DynDNS, always the application that Dyn provided.

I located another post that seemed to address my situation.
It recomended giving Telo a start and stop DHCP range of only one IP address, that of the static-IP router.
Then, entering that same IP address in the DMZ field of the Ooma setup.

There also seemed to be a lot of people who could not get that to work, though.
Apparently some Ooma devices have a non-working DMZ function.

Will try that stuff tonight.

Really hoping I'll be able to leave the Telo in front of the router since call quality is so much better.
#75936 by murphy
Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:08 am
Do not put the router in the Telo's DMZ and also forward ports to the router.
Do one or the other.

I have a Telo and a hub behind my router with nothng connected to the Home port of either box.
QOS is controlled by the router which is a Linksys WRT320N running DD-WRT firmware so I can use IPv6 internet connections.
#75990 by Karl in NY
Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:07 pm
I posted a reply, but it seems to have evaporated...

I tried various things today, including putting my router address into the Ooma DMZ, which didn't work due to an error about it being on a different network segment than the Ooma...

The Telo was at the default address of 172.27.35.1, whereas my router is 192.168.1.1

I tried resetting the Telo to static 192.168.1.10 which was successful, but the DMZ entry still generated an error.

I also tried resetting the Telo DHCP range to 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.1 but I was still getting IP conflict errors.

I'm now back to default settings on the Telo, and with it still being modem>Telo>router.
Phone and outgoing Internet is fine, but still unable to connect to my network from an outside Internet connection, and my server address entered from a browser within my network still redirects to the Ooma setup page rather than my server page.

I'm hoping someone can suggest an Ooma setup configuration to allow me to access my network from outside.
I have way too much on my network to move them all to another segment, so it has to be done via Ooma setup.

Thanks-
#76016 by n8399
Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:29 am
Karl in NY wrote:...I'm hoping someone can suggest an Ooma setup configuration to allow me to access my network from outside.
I have way too much on my network to move them all to another segment, so it has to be done via Ooma setup.
Thanks-

Have gained LAN access using laptop/PC wireless card/usb adapter configured to wireless router's DHCP range with modem >router >Ooma >computer. Not tested with modem >Ooma >router >computer.
Successfully bypasses Ooma DHCP manual config bottleneck for less than $10-20 and 10-20min wireless adapter setup.
Last edited by n8399 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests