Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#69325 by alan83
Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:54 pm
My apartment complex is gated at both the drive entrance and the entrance to my building. When someone comes over, they call me and I press 9 to open the gate and front door. This is not working on my Ooma.. I answer the call, press nine and the system is not recognizing that I am pressing 9.

It works on my cell phone, but would like it to work on my Ooma. Could there possibly be a setting that I can change for this?
#69338 by alan83
Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:59 am
I pressed the number for a very long time and it did not recognize that I was pressing it. Even had them call 2 more times to keep testing it... nothing. The phone is newer.
#69514 by nn5i
Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:03 pm
You don't say, but I assume they call you from a phone that is installed at the gate, rather than from their own cell phone. A connection between your Ooma and the visitor's cell phone would have no way to interact with the gate's hardware.

Ooma's system does not transmit touch-tones in either direction. Instead, it detects and blanks them, and regenerates them at the other end of the connection. The regenerated tone is quite brief, no matter how long you hold down the button. I'm guessing it's too brief for the gate-opening hardware to detect.

Why does Ooma do this? I'm guessing it's because their engineers smoke some really weird stuff. There is no other explanation for anything so expensive to implement, so pointless, and so totally unjustifiable on technical grounds. They could just transmit the audio -- that's what telephone systems do -- instead of detecting, blanking, and regenerating it. Doing what they do causes multiple problems (see the threads on such subjects as one titled something like My callers hear me pressing keys on the phone, though I am not).
#69516 by southsound
Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:40 pm
nn5i wrote:Why does Ooma do this? I'm guessing it's because their engineers smoke some really weird stuff. There is no other explanation for anything so expensive to implement, so pointless, and so totally unjustifiable on technical grounds.

It sounds like they may not be the only ones smoking some really wierd stuff. I guess Florida is getting more and more like California. :P
#69528 by nn5i
Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:15 am
Nope, I don't smoke anything at all. My weirdness is wholly innate. And Happy Thinksgiving! Hope all is well.
#69530 by southsound
Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:21 am
nn5i wrote:Nope, I don't smoke anything at all. My weirdness is wholly innate. And Happy Thinksgiving! Hope all is well.

Same here or so I'm told. We had our recovery group Thanksgiving feast yesterday. About 50 people and we had 2 turkeys, ham, roast beef and so many side dishes I couldn't count them. To make things better, we even had a light dusting of snow. Not enough to stick on the roads but enough to make the trees and shrubs look like a Christmas card. We'll do it again Thursday for a much smaller group at our home. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!