This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#68021 by levman
Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:02 pm
I am using a 2-line cordless phone, to which I have connected Line 1 to the landline and Line 2 to the ooma Telo. When the ooma is connected and I pick up Line 1 (the landline), I hear a buzzing sound. I do not hear the buzzing sound on Line 2 (ooma), and I do not hear the buzzing on Line 1 if I disconnect the ooma.

In fact, I've discovered that, with the ooma connected to my 2-line phone, the buzz is introduced into all the other landline-connected phones in my house, which are plugged into phone jacks in other rooms.

Any idea why having one line of my 2-line phone plugged into the ooma would cause the other line, and in fact my entire home phone wiring, to pick up a buzz?

The phone does not exhibit this problem if both lines are plugged into landlines.
#68340 by jacque
Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:49 am
I have exactly the same problem, I even use the same line numbers. Line 1(Qwest landline) buzzes and callers tell me they can hardly hear me because my voice is very faint and soft. I purchased a DSL filter and put it between the Ooma Telo and the phone but it didn't help. I would very much like to know the answer to this, since now neither line is working very well. Line 1 has the low volume and buzz, and line 2 (Telo) has such terrtible delay that it is almost unusable.

I purchased the phone specifically to use with my Ooma Telo when I first set up the system. It's a Panasonic 2-line DECT 6.0. KX-TG9391.
#68345 by beerman1957
Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:22 am
jacque wrote:I have exactly the same problem, I even use the same line numbers. Line 1(Qwest landline) buzzes and callers tell me they can hardly hear me because my voice is very faint and soft. I purchased a DSL filter and put it between the Ooma Telo and the phone but it didn't help. I would very much like to know the answer to this, since now neither line is working very well. Line 1 has the low volume and buzz, and line 2 (Telo) has such terrtible delay that it is almost unusable.

I purchased the phone specifically to use with my Ooma Telo when I first set up the system. It's a Panasonic 2-line DECT 6.0. KX-TG9391.

Have either of you tried to use a hard-line (not cordless phone) in this situation? Does the buzzing occur when you DON'T have the Qwest landline connected? I think you are picking up DSL noise. It is weird because I have practically the same set up and no issues.
#68443 by jacque
Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:38 am
Thanks for the reply, beerman. If I connect a separate phone to line 1, the buzzing does not occur. I'm sure you're right that it's picking up DSL noise, which is why I purchased the filter. But it isn't working. I did some research on my Panasonic model and found some posts about needing a filter in my situation, but that doesn't seem to work for me.

What phone do you use? I'm fed up enough to go buy a different model. I'm pretty sure it's the phone itself since others aren't having the problem, but when I asked about it here some months ago I got no replies. Thanks for answering, I'm ready to take any suggestions about what phone I should get.

Anybody want to buy a Panasonic? LOL
#68484 by Jerry_NA
Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:21 pm
I'm just making a wild guess, here, but where is your Telo physically located with respect to other equipment? I read that the Telo can pick up interference from other radio frequency emitting equipment, i.e. wireless routers, home cordless telephone base stations, etc. Try moving your Telo 1 to 2 feet farther away from other equipment, and see if the buzz goes away. Good luck.
#68597 by jacque
Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:13 pm
Thanks guys. The Telo is across the room from my router and about 18 inches from my phone. But the interference is on the Qwest line, not on the Ooma line, so I'm not sure that matters. The Ooma line is very clear.

I did try a different phone line from the wall to line 1 (the landline). Originally I was using the old 2-line wire even though line 2 has been turned off. Thinking that might be the problem I plugged in a new 1-line phone cord but it didn't help.

Still would like to know which phones people have had good luck with. I think it's my telephone.
#68627 by dbarr9
Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:03 pm
levman wrote:I am using a 2-line cordless phone, to which I have connected Line 1 to the landline and Line 2 to the ooma Telo. When the ooma is connected and I pick up Line 1 (the landline), I hear a buzzing sound. I do not hear the buzzing sound on Line 2 (ooma), and I do not hear the buzzing on Line 1 if I disconnect the ooma.

In fact, I've discovered that, with the ooma connected to my 2-line phone, the buzz is introduced into all the other landline-connected phones in my house, which are plugged into phone jacks in other rooms.

Any idea why having one line of my 2-line phone plugged into the ooma would cause the other line, and in fact my entire home phone wiring, to pick up a buzz?

The phone does not exhibit this problem if both lines are plugged into landlines.

See the post at the bottom of this link (by bmarcoux)
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r924193 ... line-phone
I had this problem with my two line setup (Vonage + regular phone line). I put a 300k resistor between the tip wires, as described in the linked post) and the problem was solved.
#68904 by JRay7
Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am
I have been having the same buzzing issue. I have a single-line three-phone AT&T cordless system. The Telo is located 4 to 5 feet away from my router. I have a 50-foot two-line telephone cord leading from the Telo into a wall jack where at another wall jack my phone base unit is connected into. People on the other end of the line don't hear the buzz, but I do. And when I begin talking the buzz goes away, only to come back after I stop talking. I tried the DSL filter trick and it did not work. I even setup the QoS for the Telo, and that didn't make a difference. Ooma is the only phone service I have, so the wall jacks have no other live feeds. Not sure if it is the telephone cable, my phones, or something else. I hope my info helps pinpoint a solution.