This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#67727 by dfantasia
Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:11 am
After searching all over for call quality information and not finding anything regarding the U-verse 2Wire residential Gateway and OOMA, I finally put this tutorial together.

http://www.devinfantasia.com/index.php/oomabehinduverse

This solved all of my call quality issues from the start and I have helped others with this information as well.
#67739 by gjwhitehorn
Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:46 am
Thanks for the info! I'm putting it on my 2701HG-B right now.

How did you come up with this tutorial? Packet sniffing or something?
Just wondering because some of the ports you say to forward seem kinda odd.

• TCP & UDP 53 = DNS. Why would the Ooma device be acting as a DNS server?
  • UDP 123 = NTP. I'm assuming this implies that the Ooma device is acting as an NTP server, which doesn't seem to make much sense.
  • TCP 443 = HTTPS. Why would the Ooma device be acting as an HTTPS server? And what if I want to run an HTTPS server from one of my computers?
  • UDP 514 = Syslog. That seems reasonable.
  • UDP 1194 = OpenVPN. I'm guessing this would explain Ooma's claim of call security. What if I want to run an OpenVPN server from one of my computers?
  • UDP 3386 = CDR logging. Makes sense.
  • UDP 10000-20000 -- I guess the Ooma randomly picks a port in this range for actual transmission of calls? I hope none of my programs will also pick one of these ports.

Also, in the second picture in your tutorial, there's a drop-down box called Application Type, and in that list is an option that says "H.323-based Internet telephony". Would that be a good option to select for any of the ports you mentioned? Or is Ooma not H.323-based?
#67741 by dfantasia
Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:18 am
I'm unsure if it's H232. I tried the GOOG and it didn't come up with any clear hits from my quick glance. Give it a shot and let us all know. :)

Why those ports? Because OOMA said that's the Ports and Protocols they use:

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/104/related/1

FYI - I'M NOT GOING TO CHECK THIS SITE SO IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS PLEASE USE MY TUTORIAL TO WRITE BACK. LEAVE A COMMENT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU THERE.
Last edited by dfantasia on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#67743 by southsound
Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am
dfantasia wrote:FYI - I'M NOT GOING TO CHECK THIS SITE SO IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS PLEASE USE MY TUTORIAL TO WRITE BACK. LEAVE A COMMENT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU THERE.

So your visit here was just to add another page to your resume in hopes of impressing a future employer? I guess that may seem a little self-serving to some.

If you do visit back again, consider that this is a great community of people who love to help others. If that is your real motive, then I'm glad you stopped by and hope you become a frequent visitor. Many of us started visiting just to find a solution to a personal problem and realized that our experiences could help others.

And as to your quest for future employment, I wish you well. I'll bet your experience at Smoothie World is valued by many. I especially like the blended mocha smoothies made with real chocoloate milk. On a serious side, some of my best friends - including some of those on this forum - have felt the economy hurt them in a very personal way. May they all soon find something fulfilling and stable.
#67745 by dfantasia
Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:57 am
So your visit here was just to add another page to your resume in hopes of impressing a future employer? I guess that may seem a little self-serving to some.

OUCH! I thought people would be happy that I was putting something like this together... That hurt. Why am I not going to be on this site and only on mine? Simply because I'm working on my website (something that I had working for 5 years before my Web Host went out of business and I lost everything and have just recently began rebuilding) and only have so much time in the day. If you want to copy the tutorial or do whatever, I don't care. Take it and run with it. I mostly did it for my sister in another state to look at and then just posted it on this site to help others out.

I agree that it seems like a great community, I just don't have enough time to check back all the time. Best of luck and let me know (through my site) if there are any changes that need to be made to make it more clear and I will change them.
#67747 by southsound
Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:04 pm
dfantasia wrote:OUCH! I thought people would be happy that I was putting something like this together... That hurt. Why am I not going to be on this site and only on mine? Simply because I'm working on my website (something that I had working for 5 years before my Web Host went out of business and I lost everything and have just recently began rebuilding) and only have so much time in the day.

I agree that it seems like a great community, I just don't have enough time to check back all the time. Best of luck and let me know (through my site) if there are any changes that need to be made to make it more clear and I will change them.

Sorry that my comment sounded harsh - I actually meant it as an encouragement for you to visit when possible. Of course we appreciate your work and although I don't have U-verse, I'm glad to see it here.

As to rebuilding your site because a vendor went down, I think you are in good company - many of us have started doing a great job of backing up important things like our websites - only after loosing all our previous work. Happened to me a couple of years ago.
#69508 by tjnamtiw
Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:08 pm
dfantasia wrote:After searching all over for call quality information and not finding anything regarding the U-verse 2Wire residential Gateway and OOMA, I finally put this tutorial together.

This solved all of my call quality issues from the start and I have helped others with this information as well.

This link is broken!!!!!
#70134 by gjwhitehorn
Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:30 pm
tjnamtiw wrote:
dfantasia wrote:After searching all over for call quality information and not finding anything regarding the U-verse 2Wire residential Gateway and OOMA, I finally put this tutorial together.

This link is broken!!!!!

Please read the post right before yours.