This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#66628 by TechNoid665
Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:57 am
Hello all,

I have owned & been using the Ooma Hub for about a year now. Since about mid September both reception and transmission is breaking up / crackling. It is to the point where one party or the other is having to ask the other party to repeat themselves perhaps once per minute of conversation.

Here is my setup:
Comcast high speed Internet > my router > Ooma Hub (no QOS).

Recently, I was shocked to see that my internet DL speed was above 10mbps as it has typically been about 5mbps. Perhaps Comcast provisioned more bandwidth in effort to combat local competition. UL speed remains around 2mbps, as it always has.

I do not believe this is a QOS issue since I have tested Ooma without any other internet-consuming devices attached.

I am concerned that the Ooma service is getting overloaded. But are there any other tests I can run, for example, to check for jitter, delay, etc.? How would I run these tests?

Thank you.
#66639 by missamo80
Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:18 am
I have the identical issue. Our call quality is unusable, to the point where we're about to cancel our service. It's not our uplink speed, as I used our work's VOIP service on my work laptop from home to call an identical number and the call quality was perfect.

Neil
#66664 by scottlindner
Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:47 pm
Since we're not seeing a lot of people complaining about this I would check your ISP. Speed is not relevant with VOIP. You can practically do a VOIP call over dial up if you go by speed alone. Try something like http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and http://www.pingtest.net/ when you're having troubles. Be sure to turn off all AV software on the machine you are running the test from to ensure you are measuring your ISP accurately.

I have a perfect ISP for VOIP and gaming, although not very fast for file sharing, and Skype video calls. Here are more scores from these sites to compare against:

The other site seems to have results password protected since the last time I used it so I can't share the results. How lame.

Scott
#66759 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:02 pm
mordechai wrote:I'm also having lots of breaking up the last several weeks to the point that I'm thinking of discontinuing ooma.Any suggestions?

If you had it working okay and something goes belly up with voice quality, check your internet first.
If cable modem, try to do a hard reset (restore factory default) and have it learn your cable line over again; and then if that doesn't work, try swapping out the cable modem.
I suppose DSL modems go bad once in a while too.
#66786 by scottlindner
Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:51 am
lbmofo wrote:
mordechai wrote:I'm also having lots of breaking up the last several weeks to the point that I'm thinking of discontinuing ooma.Any suggestions?

If you had it working okay and something goes belly up with voice quality, check your internet first.
If cable modem, try to do a hard reset (restore factory default) and have it learn your cable line over again; and then if that doesn't work, try swapping out the cable modem.
I suppose DSL modems go bad once in a while too.

I'm on my third DSL modem in two years, so yah, they go bad once in a while.
#66789 by lzhj9k
Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:54 am
I have been working to improve my call quality since I purchased my Telo in July

Here are the results from the mentioned PING test

I have replaced my modem with a Motorola SB 6120

I have upgraded my Comcast package to Blast from Perfromance

I have purchased a new Router Netgear WNDR3700 AV

I have Telo handsets

My wife complains about call (voice) lag and echo'ing

I am connected as Ooma suggested Modem>Telo>Router>PC's,Printer

I am about to reconnect the Telo after the router...

I have reset the Telo QoS Settings from 768 Up 384 down to 0 up and 0 down in anticipation of controlling QoS within the router

Comcast Speed Test

Another Speed Test this morning

What am I missing.........
#66792 by scottlindner
Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 am
Those results look solid. Did you run those tests about the same time you have troubles with Ooma calls? Cable is notorious for being great.. period of suck.. then suddenly great so if you run those tests during times of great service, your results will look great.
#66793 by lzhj9k
Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:54 am
Scott

I have been running those test for weeks in an effort to improve call quality

My wife is frustrated with the lag and echo'ing

I am invested to deep to turn back......

I will reconnect the Telo AFTER the router and try a few calls then if necessary, set up QoS within the router

Dont know what else to do........

Mike
#66795 by scottlindner
Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:17 am
lzhj9k wrote:Scott

I have been running those test for weeks in an effort to improve call quality

My wife is frustrated with the lag and echo'ing

I am invested to deep to turn back......

I will reconnect the Telo AFTER the router and try a few calls then if necessary, set up QoS within the router

Dont know what else to do........

Mike

Are you running QoS rules on a router? i'm sorry if you've answered this already, I'm just catching up and really don't have a lot of time to offer. I ask because when I tried DD-WRT QoS it totally jacked my service quality. Simply turning off QoS on DD-WRT solved the problem, but then I didn't have QoS.

A good test for this is to go as simple as possible. If you can deal with no Interent for a while to test this, connect just your Ooma to your modem and nothing else. Go as lean and simple as possible. See how call quality is then and keep trying for a couple of days and different times of day.

I know.. going without Net access can be painful. I ended up finding that my telephone wires in my house were causing my DSL troubles. Boy did that take a long time to figure out.

Scott