This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#65974 by fstshrk
Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:11 pm
According to OOMA documentation, Ooma Telo upstream bandwidth shaping should only be active when a voice call is active.
However, by testing and changing the bandwidth shaping figures, I can see that the upstream shaping is active 100% of the time.

Has anyone else seen the same issue with the Upstream Bandwidth setting.

By the way, setting the default at 384 if QoS is always active is very bad. I can see the customer support calls to the ISP after installing the OOMA box.
#65975 by lbmofo
Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:17 pm
When I test my internet speed using speedtest.net, I get full upload speed when I am not using the phone but less when I am on the phone.
#65976 by fstshrk
Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:27 pm
Thanks for the quick response. In my case, if I set the upstream speed to 250 then run the test
from speedtest.net, I get 250. If I change it to 500, I get 500. If I change it to 1000, I get 1000,
and if I change it to 2000, I still get 1000.

This is independent of whether I am on the phone or not.

Very strange. I wonder if this is a difference between Telo vs Core.

Thanks
#65988 by lbmofo
Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:05 pm
Not sure if hardware type would render different behavior but just checked mine.

My upstream is about 2mbps. I set my upstream QoS to 1500.

Without call in progress, I get upstream speedtest of 2mbps, call in progress, I measure around 1mpbs.
#66005 by fstshrk
Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:22 am
So it looks like there may be a bug in the upstream shaping feature of the Telo. It is always active whether there is a call in progress or not.

Does Ooma have a bug tracking site to report these on?
#66051 by lzhj9k
Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:13 am
I too thought the same........

I will have to try and duplicate it

Last week I reset my modem to clear the reservation of Upstream bandwith.. Hmm Thought it was just me..

Mike
#66095 by alanrf
Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:46 am
I am a Telo user.

Interesting to see this post since I was testing this out on my Telo and with another Telo user yesterday. For both of us the upstream shaping is only active when a call is in progress. I just re-confirmed that result.

Have you tried power cycling your Telo to see if the condition resets itself?
#66132 by fstshrk
Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:19 pm
Hi

Tried powercycling with no difference in result. If I set it to 800, I get 0.73 Mbps, and if I set it 1100, I get 0.95 Mbps upload. Clearly I am not on a call.

This is a bug in Telo if you ask me. Not an operator error.

alanrf wrote:I am a Telo user.

Interesting to see this post since I was testing this out on my Telo and with another Telo user yesterday. For both of us the upstream shaping is only active when a call is in progress. I just re-confirmed that result.

Have you tried power cycling your Telo to see if the condition resets itself?
#66141 by alanrf
Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 pm
Were this a generic Telo problem we should all be seeing the same fully repeatable problem.

I completely accept the issue you are seeing and I hope that you accept that I and the Telo user I was testing with are not seeing the same problem. If this was a generic Telo problem I think that it might have been reported earlier in the year of the Telo's availability. I do not see it in the forum. I suppose the logical conclusion of my thoughts is that you may have a defective Telo unit - and that you might well be seeking a replacement.

I have spent part of today trying to replicate the problem you are experiencing with my Telo directly connected to my cable modem and with my Telo behind my router. All of my testing has failed to reproduce the problem condition you report.

Certainly, with my Telo directly connected to he modem I can reproduce significant upload speed test degradation results during a call and that degradation depends on the upstream setting. However, if a call connection does not exist then in that configuration I still get an upload speed (irrespective of the upload setting in the Telo) of ~ 3.6 Mbps. During a call with the default 384 setting - no surprise - I get an upload speed of about 0.25 Mbps - but that simply represents Telo doing what it is asked to do.

With the Telo behind my router and with the router managing QoS I never fail to see an upload speed test failing to come well above 3Mbps whether I am in a call or not.
Last edited by alanrf on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests