This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#65316 by stevei
Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:11 pm
I've been reading other posts and don't see any solutions to the problems raised - just more questions.
In any event, we ported our number over Sept. 1 and since then reception has been awful.
Before porting it was fine.
It gets fixed or I get my money back and I'll try Vonage.
How do I troubleshoot this?

Steve
#65321 by southsound
Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:54 pm
stevei wrote:I've been reading other posts and don't see any solutions to the problems raised - just more questions.
In any event, we ported our number over Sept. 1 and since then reception has been awful.
Before porting it was fine.
It gets fixed or I get my money back and I'll try Vonage.
How do I troubleshoot this?

Steve

My guess on how to troubleshoot the problem would be to tell us a little more about what is happening. When you say reception, that doesn't leave us with much to go from. Maybe a couple of questions will start the creative juices. You mentioned that more questions are a problem but they are the only way for us to help you.

- Which ooma system do you have - the white hub (and possibly scout) or the black Telo?
- Can you describe your problem with a tad more detail? Is it a cordless phone issue or what do you mean by reception?
- What is the source of your Internet - cable or DSL?
- What kind of telephones (cordless 2.4ghz, DECT 6, corded, etc.) do you have connected and are they all affected?
- Are the phones connected directly to the ooma box PHONE port or are you using your home's wiring?
- Is the problem on incoming and outgoing calls? Is it affecting ALL calls or only some?
#65323 by stevei
Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:23 pm
I've spent all night working on this and have good news to report. But first, southsound, thanks so much for trying to help. Great questions. happily, I don't have to answer them and get any more help.
I decided the problem had to be in the internet connection and I should call Comcast my Internet Provider and get them to test the line. But first I thought I'd disconnect and reset the modem and router. When I did that I lost internet service and of course telephone as well. Thank goodness for cell service. I got a great Comcast rep to walk me through the reset process, without the Ooma in the equation, and got internet service back up. Then I reconnected the Ooma and after a little fumbling around we're back in business and voice quality is fine, at least tonight with just a local call. But, now I'm back being an Ooma fan.
It seems when the voice quality and reception on the Ooma gets degraded, you have to reset or reboot the internet connection to get it back to normal.
hope this recap helps someone else.
#65334 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:45 am
This resetting of cable modem shouldn't be the norm though in case it happens in the future. You may have a bad modem that would go belly up once in a while being a dog as far as speed and responsiveness. If you rent, then just get another from Comcast. DOCSIS 2.0 cable modems are pretty cheap ~$50 online if you don't look hard for deals.
#65360 by bobosquish
Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:15 pm
I also saw a huge drop in call quality after a number port. No Ooma person has ever acknowledged that this could be related, and yet we both saw a correlation.
#65361 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:21 pm
During the porting, did you run in landline integration mode?

In landline integration mode, all incoming and local outgoing calls are via the landline.
#65380 by stevei
Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:06 pm
lbmofo wrote:During the porting, did you run in landline integration mode?

In landline integration mode, all incoming and local outgoing calls are via the landline.

True, but for several days after porting the voice quality and reception was O - not great but OK. It detereorated dramatically a few days ago.

Why? It's a mystery. All good now.