This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#64496 by barker
Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:57 am
Since September 10th, I have not been able to have an outgoing call last more than 40-50 seconds. Regardless of the number I call, it drops the call and goes to a dial tone. It is always within 40-50 seconds. Incoming calls appear to be fine.

I have the Ooma Telo, and it is connected directly to my Time Warner cable modem. My internet connection has been solid, I ran a ping test for over 24 hours, and haven't seen any drops. I have cycled the power on both the telo and my cable modem. The telo is not behind the firewall. I have tried different phone sets, as well as a direct wired phone connection.
I have not had any power outages/surges that I know of and the telo is on a battery backup unit, however I also tested it directly in the wall with the same result. I have not made any changes to any of the settings on the Telo, they are all default, and it has been working fine for the last 6 months.

The telo always displays solid blue, (I never see it blink red), and I'm not using any a google voice number, just a normal setup. I am in Upstate NY, and dialing local numbers (7 digits). Regular calls, not conference or 3-way, etc...

On a side note which I don't think is related, people I call always see "NULL NULL" for caller ID. It has been like that since I got the service, and others have stated the same issue. I checked myooma, and my phone number is shown for caller ID, blocking my ID is NOT checked. Also, call waiting caller ID doesn't work, but again, others have this same issue if they have Uniden phones (which I do). These issues were there when my outgoing calls were working fine though, so I don't believe they are related, and to be honest I'm not that concerned about them.

Below are my voip speed test results.

jitter = 0.5 ms
packet loss = 0.0%
MOS score = 4.0
download speed = 4.07 Mbps
upload speed = 977 kbps
Quality of Service = 93%

Any suggestions on what I can try to resolve this issue?

[UPDATE] Called Ooma support, they had me adjust qos settings, do ping tests, etc, for both the customer support rep, then the engineer. Was on the phone for over an hour troubleshooting. I was able to contact their Ooma test phone number, but everything outside of the Ooma network disconnected (outgoing only). Very strange that I am the only one with this issue. They said they will escalate it again and email me back with a resolution if possible. If not, I really hope they will change out my box, so I can determine if the telo was faulty. Hopefully this all gets resolved and my family doesn't laugh at me for going with a "free" phone solution, I know they are already thinking it when I had to test call a few of them tonight :D .
#64554 by keebsmp3s
Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:42 am
You are not the only one with this problem. My Telo started doing the exact same thing last week, and it has been subject of great frustration in our house. I live in upstate NY and have Time Warner cable just like you. Hopefully this problem gets resolved, quickly!
#64585 by Bobby B
Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Do these outbound calls fail after 40-50s to numbers in the upstate NY AND numbers outside the area (say to a different state)?

Please send me an e-mail with specific calls that failed for you after 40-50s. If you can copy and paste the info from your call logs, that'd be great.
#64821 by utlax18
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 am
I am having the same problem in Colorado. I actually got a replacement Telo yesterday, hooked it up, got all blue lights. Called my sister in Ohio...her answering machine came on..Ooma dropped me.. then went to my voice mail. Then, my sister in law from Virginia called, spoke for 45 seconds or a minute...boom dropped call, and it went straight to my voice mail. My sister from Ohio called back...talked for about a minute...boom...dropped call. I have the Comcast cable/voip modem (Arris). I have never got this thing to work correctly without dropped calls inbound or outbound.
#64823 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:36 am
utlax18 wrote:I am having the same problem in Colorado. I actually got a replacement Telo yesterday, hooked it up, got all blue lights. Called my sister in Ohio...her answering machine came on..Ooma dropped me.. then went to my voice mail. Then, my sister in law from Virginia called, spoke for 45 seconds or a minute...boom dropped call, and it went straight to my voice mail. My sister from Ohio called back...talked for about a minute...boom...dropped call. I have the Comcast cable/voip modem (Arris). I have never got this thing to work correctly without dropped calls inbound or outbound.

Maybe call customer service and have them assign another temp number. Others saw these issues go away with a new assigned number.