This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#62385 by MrSteve
Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:23 pm
Hi Fellow Ooma Users,

Well today was the day that I dreaded all year... my Ooma Service has failed all day long; along with lots of other Ooma users. I have had very good luck with my Ooma Service for almost a year... until today. I understand that there was a problem with a service provider system update, or at least that's what Customer support told me. I realize that stuff happens, but as the hours tick by and I wonder how long this will last, I feel that Ooma owes its customer some updates, even if the news is bad. My business is suffering and now I have to wonder how long I should wait to react.

The Twitter account hasn't had one update regarding this outage and the Ooma Service Status section of the site only says:

Ooma Calling Network
8/17/2010 9:00AM Pacific: We are currently experiencing an issue with inbound calling affecting customers mostly in the Eastern U.S. region. Please check the forums updates, we do apologize for any inconvenience this my cause.

I'm just outside of Boston, MA and I have not been able to receive a call all day ( August 17th)

This is unacceptable. Ooma, please give your customers some idea of what is going on. Make some more updates, surely you have some news since this morning. Perhaps a projection as to when this problem will be fixed.

I think I have used almost an entire month worth of my wireless minutes on my mobile phone account today. I really rely on our telephone service, and Ooma needs to do much better letting its users know what going on.
#62391 by MrSteve
Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:50 pm
I found this very interesting: it is a link to Ooma's blog regarding a previous Service Outage (April 13th). The statement might be somewhat telling of what it takes to get a large number of users back online. Take a look at what happened in April, maybe this will provide idea of how long this might take to resolve.

https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/04/13/abo ... ce-outage/

Ooma also made a "Corrective Action Plan" after the above Outage, see the link below for that one.

https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/04/16/rec ... tion-plan/

I hope I hear something some... Ooma follow your own plan.
#62399 by murphy
Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:14 pm
That was April of 2009.
#62417 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:06 pm

"Recent Outages – Corrective action plan" published last April:

https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/04/16/rec ... tion-plan/

Let's look at some of things ooma can do better via communiation

Communication

We have closed a loophole that prevented the product marketing team from being immediately notified about major outages during off-hours. This prevented us from responding in the forums in a timely manner this morning.

The Ooma Service Status page was likely updated in the "Ooma Calling Network" section as soon as Ooma found out about today's outage but wasn't bumped so no one could see the update until it was bumped. Okay, I give them 1/2 mess up.

We are adding a mechanism for us to display outage notifications on our homepage and Lounge login page. The notification will be displayed at the top of the home page and link to our status in the forums. This should be live tomorrow.

Notification on the homepage and/or my ooma page (at least the dashboard) didn't happen; should have happend. This is much needed to complement the "Ooma Service Status" thread in the forum.

We have created an official ooma_status twitter feed. You can now find us at twitter.com/ooma_status. This gives you RSS and SMS notification options as well.

No twitter feed today; should have happend. <-- Edit: Tweet from ooma happened 3PM something PDT but not from ooma_status

We will send outage notification e-mails to customers who are subscribed to our marketing communication list. If you are not subscribed, you can do so here: https://www.ooma.com/contact/. Be sure to click the “I currently own an ooma system” checkbox. This is the only opt-in list we can use right now where we can safely send tens of thousands of e-mails without getting blacklisted. In the future, we will consider allowing separate opt-in’s for outage vs marketing notifications.

No email today; should have happend.
#62461 by tshapard
Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:33 pm
Problems all day (as best I can tell) on West Coast. People try to call, phone rings, but when I answer there is no audio. When I try to call out it says call cannot be completed.