This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#61910 by 9204wilson
Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:43 pm
Hi anyone and everyone out there. The call quality on my Ooma Telo has been terrible in the past few days. When I speak with people, there is a lot of drop out, warble and just bad quality. I have not had anyone complain to me but I certainly hear it and sometimes I have to ask them to repeat. I did a couple of different speed tests and my download is 2.41 mb/s (2410 kbps) and the upload is .28 mb/s (280 kbps). Over the past two months, I had very good call quality but it has just gotten bad in since this past Monday.

Last night At setup.ooma.com in the quality of service settings, I set the upstream speed set to 223 kbps and the downstream speed set to 0 kbps. The 223 kbps is 20% less then reality as Ooma suggests. Prior to that they were something different but I can't remember what they were set to. I do know that the downstream speed has always been set to 0. None the less, after changing the Quality of Service settings, I am still having the problems.

I did notice yesterday before changing the settings that if I got on the internet while I was using Ooma that I would really get terrible call quality. I would have to get off the internet.

If it matters, I have cable internet.

I have the Teleo between the modem and the router.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the quality to improve?

Thanks,

Rob
#61911 by murphy
Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:51 pm
What cable ISP has an upload speed of 280 kbps?
#61944 by 9204wilson
Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:38 am
You are exactly right. The modem had gone bad. As a result, my speeds were drastically lower then what they should have been. I have installed a new modem and, according to www.speedtest.net, my speeds are back up to 23.59 Mbps download and 2.7 Mbps upload. Thanks for your help.

Rob