Call quality has sucked this week

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
9204wilson

Call quality has sucked this week

Post by 9204wilson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi anyone and everyone out there. The call quality on my Ooma Telo has been terrible in the past few days. When I speak with people, there is a lot of drop out, warble and just bad quality. I have not had anyone complain to me but I certainly hear it and sometimes I have to ask them to repeat. I did a couple of different speed tests and my download is 2.41 mb/s (2410 kbps) and the upload is .28 mb/s (280 kbps). Over the past two months, I had very good call quality but it has just gotten bad in since this past Monday.

Last night At setup.ooma.com in the quality of service settings, I set the upstream speed set to 223 kbps and the downstream speed set to 0 kbps. The 223 kbps is 20% less then reality as Ooma suggests. Prior to that they were something different but I can't remember what they were set to. I do know that the downstream speed has always been set to 0. None the less, after changing the Quality of Service settings, I am still having the problems.

I did notice yesterday before changing the settings that if I got on the internet while I was using Ooma that I would really get terrible call quality. I would have to get off the internet.

If it matters, I have cable internet.

I have the Teleo between the modem and the router.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the quality to improve?

Thanks,

Rob

murphy

Re: Call quality has sucked this week

Post by murphy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:51 pm

What cable ISP has an upload speed of 280 kbps?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Very likely your modem has gone bad.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

9204wilson

Post by 9204wilson » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:38 am

You are exactly right. The modem had gone bad. As a result, my speeds were drastically lower then what they should have been. I have installed a new modem and, according to www.speedtest.net, my speeds are back up to 23.59 Mbps download and 2.7 Mbps upload. Thanks for your help.

Rob