This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#62544 by angrysquirrel
Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:41 pm
Thanks lbmofo!

I just got a call from comcast executive team to come down and check out the modem signals. The great thing is that while she was on the phone with me, my transmission to her dropped twice. Luckily it kicked back on. Also lost transmission 1x today speaking with a client. What a mess.

You think it might be worth it to pick up another modem at walmart and see if the problem resolves itself?
#62546 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:49 pm
Could you run your VoIP test and once done, copy and paste what's in the advanced tab?
#62564 by angrysquirrel
Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:02 pm
Hi lbmofo!

Here are test results I took a few minutes ago:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4634952 bps
Upload speed: 2730192 bps
Download quality of service: 51 %
Upload quality of service: 96 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 110 ms
Average download pause: 42 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 112 ms
Average round trip time to server: 113 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 264000000bps
Route concurrency: 56.95852
Download TCP forced idle: 99 %
Maximum route speed: 4681064bps
#62565 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:13 pm
Most of the readings look okay. However, 99% TCP forced idle....that's bad news according to my understanding.

TCP forced idle %, this identifies TCP idle time invoked because the route being tested is too slow end-to-end and the TCP stack is forced to idle. The TCP Forced Idle Percent allows customers to assess the capacity for a connection to sustain more than one TCP session without degradation to other TCP sessions.

Do you rent your modem? If so, might not be a bad idea to try a different one from the cable company.

Otherwise, ask for a cable tech to come out and check your line condition first....maybe try to get the -7dBmv to near 0.
#62570 by murphy
Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:33 pm
How many splitters are between your incoming cable from the street and the cable modem?
It should not be more than 1.
#62584 by angrysquirrel
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:17 pm
Not sure on the # of splitters. The tech will be down in the basement tuesday trying to sort the spiderweb of coax cables out from comcast and dish. They're really good doing that. :) I'll let the tech know about the splitters, forced idle % and getting line condition down to 0. I'll continue to keep you folks posted. Thanks again for all your help!