This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#61794 by crs
Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:48 am
I'm about to return my Ooma Telo because the voice delay I'm experiencing through it is about twice what my landline provides (though the quality of the sound itself is fine). Using 909-390-0003 to measure delay I get about 700ms through Ooma, compared with 375ms for the landline. I'm on the east coast, and the Ooma servers appear not to be very close to me (> 100ms rtt for ping & traceroute), though since that number appears to answer in southern California I'm not sure how much of the Ooma latency I'm experiencing is due to internet round trips. Does anyone know if Ooma servers are centralized or distributed?

Tech support has had me run the tests at speedtest.net and pingtest.net:

downstream: 6.7Mbps
upstream: .36Mbps
packet loss: 0%
ping: 40ms
jitter: 6ms

and since the jitter number is above 5ms I'm supposed to call my ISP and ask them to lower my jitter. Seriously, two different L1 support people have told me to do that.

The L2 person I spoke with told me to set my upstream QoS and then turn off my cable model, Telo and router for two minutes in order to make the change effective. I have tried setting various upstream QoS values, and based on speedtest results the changes appear to take effect immediately, without power cycling. However, the high latency problem remains.

I would welcome any suggestions for ways to reduce the Ooma latency.
#62054 by crs
Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:33 am
mudwoman, in what part of the country do you live? I'm in North Carolina, and my Ooma box appeared to be sending my calls to servers in California, which couldn't help but add delay.
#62177 by crs
Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:30 pm
I connected an Ethernet hub (not a switch) between the Telo and my cable modem and then ran wireshark (a packet sniffer) on a laptop also connected to the hub. At the time I didn't actually look up the server locations, though using ping & traceroute the packet round-trip times made them appear to be geographically distant. Pinging a host I know is in California takes about 90ms, and the servers my Telo was connecting to were all about that far away too. I've since looked up the server addresses using http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation and it appears that one of them is in San Francisco, and the others are in Maine. I didn't do very extensive testing of this; it's possible that the server locations change based on the phone number at the other end. Surprisingly, my wife reported lots of voice collisions during local conversations, but not during calls to Scotland.

So, I can't conclude that network distance alone is a significant component of the delay problem I was experiencing with Ooma. However, having replaced my Telo with the digital phone service from my cable company, the delay I experience with the echo number (909-390-0003) has dropped from 700ms to about 250ms. That's better than my landline was, and is good enough to avoid constant voice collisions during a conversation. Ooma's combination of features and pricing is hard to beat, of course, so I regret not being able to talk to anybody in tech support who understood the performance problem I was having.
#63463 by rodak
Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:46 pm
See my reply to the topic Mudwoman linked to (above). Short answer: Switching from AT&T DSL to Charter Cable gave me MUCH faster download speeds, somewhat faster upload speeds, and I'm now able to put my telo between my modem and router. One of those changes, or a combination of the two, have roughtly cut my delay time in half, resulting in a much more pleasant calling experience. I'll give it another few days, then give AT&T the boot, DSL, landline and all.

I'll also save money - going to AT&T Dry Loop was going to set me back $38/month for 1.5Mbps service (they offer nothing faster in my area). Charter will be $30/month for the next 24 months (then goes up to $54!). By then maybe AT&T will have faster service available, and I'll be able to take advantage of their "new customer" deals. I'll just keep ping-ponging between the two if necessary until someone provides fast, reliable service at a good price that's not "introductory".
#63615 by Davesworld
Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:35 pm
The download and upload speeds have nothing to do with delay or any other quality issues and even having a 10gbs connection in itself will do nothing to change it. Latency jitter and packet loss are THE issues with any VOIP over broadband connection. Bandwidth is seldom an issue today with VOIP unless it's under 100kbs. The best internet connection for VOIP is not fast at all but not surprisingly is a carrier grade connection and prices are in the three digit range to start with. VOIP over carrier grade is wonderful. Nobody is going to give you massive bandwidth with anything close to carrier grade quality at consumer prices, especially the Cable Companies who have never earned widespread trust amongst consumers. I would be hard pressed to beat my 0% packet loss, 4ms jitter and 37ms latency connection which carries that quality 24/7 on a consumer type (DSL in my case) connection by switching to Cable.
#65826 by dschmidt_2000
Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:51 am
Davesworld wrote:The download and upload speeds have nothing to do with delay or any other quality issues and even having a 10gbs connection in itself will do nothing to change it. Latency jitter and packet loss are THE issues with any VOIP over broadband connection.

Agreed, but why is Ooma more susceptible to this vs other VOIP providers?
I've had TMobile@home VOIP for over 2 years with no delay issues ever. I'm a 2 month Oooma user and I've noticed the delay immediately but for the most part its acceptable. Last night calling the wife though it was worse. Same DSL line.

Others have said the same thing in regards to sound delay with Ooma but not with Vonage. Same internet connection, fine with someone else's VOIP, delay with Ooma.
Dave