This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#4794 by Crazypinoy9
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:47 pm
mthomtech wrote:What did you do to change the QoS settings on the Verizon Router?

In the advanced options in the router there is a QOS tab. It's very similar to the ooma screen.
#4803 by mthomtech
Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 pm
Bobby B wrote:
I'll ask some of our engineering folks to see if this issue has been encountered before.

Just curious - did you try connecting a different phone to the Scout (for example, the one that is connected to the Hub)?

Also, do you have a corded phone handy that you could try with?

Yes ... tested all phones, and started using a corded phone for all tests now.

Thanks for getting someone to look into it. Let us know what you find out.
#4804 by ram104
Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 pm
I also have tried a corded phone along with 2 different cordless phones. Although there is a small difference when connecting a phone to the hub as oppose to the scout I still think this problem is on the ooma's end. It could be how the call is connected through ooma's partners or as Timothy was saying a way to adjust your settings other than through the QoS in the setup screen.
I'm also amazed to see this topic has grown some legs and has brought a lot of other users input.
It would be great to see a happy ending to all this.
#4805 by raghuooma
Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:10 pm
Given that the quality of internet connections posted are very good (one less thing to worry about), I am surprised Ooma does not have much clue as to what could be wrong.

The hub is a pretty capable hardware and there does not seem to be any diagnostic info built in to check such problems. I would think call quality is the most important aspect of a voip phone.
#4824 by Timothy
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 am
Since I'm back at work with a Land Line I wanted to try the *99 trick allowing additional bandwidth. I had my wife call me from the Ooma Hub to my work. Sound quality still not that great, sounds like talking on the cell phone. Call test #2 she called me using the *99. Sure enough that cell phone quality issue went away and the call sounded much more clear. HOWEVER, the call is clear but now noticing a slight hicup in the conversation simular to the clicking sound coming from the Scout. It is very evident the quality of sound issue from the HUB is certainly caused by the lack of bandwidth flow. I don't think the 30Kbps is enough for a quality call. What's causing the hicup/breakup is another unknown issue after using the *99. I know it was designed for Fax use but was hoping this would be a workaround for clearer calls in the mean time.
#4831 by Crazypinoy9
Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:34 pm
Ok, so finally I get a call back from ooma customer service regarding my test results that I posted earlier and guess what..

THEY'RE BLAMING IT ON MY UPLOAD SPEED! Even if I passed the tests that THEY asked me to run.

How come Vonage had crystal clear call quality when I was on a slower cable connection? Now I have fiber optic speeds that are at least twice as fast. I'm gonna reconnect my Vonage since I haven't canceled yet and see how it fairs on the same setup. I can already guess what the results are gonna be. Vonage is gonna work flawlessly.

Wake up ooma techs!!! Here's my upload speed using the wireless off my laptop:

This is starting to become a joke. They're making the wrong customer unhappy because I have friends that write tech review articles for cnet, hardocp, and anandtech.
#4833 by ommadude
Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:49 pm
I think there are two issues here:

1. Using the scout and ooma hub on the same dsl circuit/pair. This for me causes a "scratchy" voice transmit. Receive works beautifully.

2. Voice calls breaking up/choppy on the transmit side of the ooma. This happens when I make a call from the ooma hub and not the scout. Could this be caused by packet loss or jitter or lack of QoS as the packet goes through the internet?

Having a large upload bandwidth is not the problem! and an insult to our intelligence!
#4834 by WayneDsr
Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm
Heck, I'm jealous!
Mine is 651 kbit upload and 5.1mbit download and my ooma works great!
No, it's NOT your speed.....

Wayne
#4837 by mthomtech
Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 pm
No it's definitely not the speed ...

Here's what I've narrowed down for my issue:

1) Bandwith is plenty big
2) no packet loss or jitter on my connection
3) no dsl, so no interference there
4) no difference in quality issues whether or not the hub phone and scout HPNA signal share the same wire pair. I've hooked everything with dedicated wire and the issue is identical
5) hub sound quality is better than scout ... scout phone connection is the only one that gives me the crackle on the non-ooma end, when the ooma user speaks. Hub quality is fine, but could be improved. Same experience that Timothy noted when trying the *99 to eliminate the voice compression
6) Tried numerous combinations of wiring and phones ... all with same results.

The only theories that seem to fit this issue in my mind are: 1) too low compression quality to provide the best sound, with scout providing slightly less quality that tips the user experience in the crackling range of quality. 2) My scout unit is defective, or the scout has inherently lower quality than the hub.

Fixes should be: 1) increased call quality, or option to increase call quality via larger bandwith usage and/or 2) new scout device w/o issues.